Chapter 30

I don't bother to intervene.

Carlos gently pulls me back into the penthouse and closes the door after I've entered.

Before closing it he gave me a look I've never seen before.His eyes were a bit teary too, and red.I don't know if he was crying or if he's just high.

Soon I hear Nathen call out my name while begging for his life.

What are they doing to him?

When I try to open the door Danniel tells me to stop from the other end.

"Carlos what are you doing to him!"I yell still trying to open the door but Danniel is preventing me from being able to.

"I said I was sorry!"Nathen calls out before groaning due to pain.I'm assuming he's being punched in the stomach.

"Carlos!Please don't kill him!"I yell and suddenly it goes quiet.

I take a deep breath and try my best to stay calm.

"Danniel please open the d..."

*Gunshot*

"Ah!"I yell and fall flat on my bum.

How could they?

Soon Danniel opens the door and walks in without making eye contact and goes straight to the fridge for yoghurt.

Carlos follows with a bit of blood on his shirt.His knuckles are busted.

When we lock eye contact,he runs his fingers through his hair and doesn't say anything.

He's still breathing heavily trying to calm down.

A tear slips from my eyes and as soon as he notices,he clenches his jaws and looks down.Without looking back up at me he walks back up to his room.

The door is still open.

I don't know if I should go sort everything out with Carlos or check on Nathen.

Somehow I manage to stand up and walk out to check on Nathen.Well,his dead body...

"Oh my word Nathen you're still alive!"I run to help him up and he holds his stomach tight.

They roughed him up so badly you can barely recognize him.

"Thank you."He manages to say before spitting out a bit of blood onto the floor.

"Sure."

I don't know what else to say.

When we reach his door,he lets go of me and says, "You thought he shot me didn't you?"

"Yeah."

"You wanna know what he said to me before firing the shot?"

I nod and he says, "He said he wasn't going to kill me because he doesn't just shoot anyone and that I'd be a waste of a bullet."

He then adds, "And you know what else he said?He said he'd fire a shot to prove to me how much you actually love me and hate him.He said you'd think he killed me and check on me instead of ask him."

"What?"

My voice is shaky.Sh*t.

"Nathen I came to check on you because even though I hate what you did,you were always there when I needed you.I had to check on you.That doesn't mean that I have any feelings for you."

"I know you love him.I've seen the way you both look at each other.Well,when you're not pissed at each other."He genuinely says trying to hide his pain from the beating he just received and the pain in his heart from saying what he said.

"I'm sorry this happened to you..."

"Don't be.I deserved it."He huffs.

"Will you be okay?"

"Yeah.Don't worry about me.Go get your man."

I then hug him gently.

"See you at school?"

He takes a while to answer me.

"Yeah sure."

"Okay.Goodnight."I smile before hugging him one last time.

As I'm about to head into the penthouse he says, "Oh and Cali..."

"Yeah?"

"Happy Birthday."

"Thank you."I smile nervously before closing the door.