Chapter 1: Shattered Dreams

Ever since he was a child, Robin wanted to be an alpha

It was a dream he shared with Jude. This huge fantasy, originating over ten years ago, where he and Jude were both alphas, and they essentially took on the world together. An unstoppable force.

It's what brought he and Jude together. The two of them were having snack time in kindergarten. First they bonded over liking the same peanut butter crackers, then Robin notified Jude about how he was going to be an alpha one day, because that's the kind of sheer randomness children operate on. They talked about it at sleepovers, or over the phone. A dream only a child would have, considering the fact that secondary genders can't be chosen.

Jude presented early-the first in their class, at about 13. It happened when he and Robin were walking to school, and Jude just suddenly got sweaty, face flushing, and he notified Robin he needed to get home now.

It was no surprise to anyone that Jude was an alpha. Honestly, his aura of raw power could make anyone submit. Robin has always looked up to him like some sort of picture of perfection. He was the perfect alpha, from the very start. He had a bit of an anger problem—still does, in fact. People listened to him like his word was gospel. Honestly, sometimes it felt like it was. He was everything Robin wanted to be and more... despite how different their personalities developed.

Where Jude was the top of their class, unyielding to any authority and meeting conflict with his signature wicked grin, Robin just... wasn't. He wanted to be. He'd tried to be. However, he couldn't defy his natural personality. He preferred to blend in, listen to what he was told. Robin was practically incapable of being rude to people, no matter how deserving. He didn't want to be noticed.

Jude got widely popular, the whole school knowing his name, while Robin supported from the background.

Despite being complete polar opposites, the two remained best friends. As if anyone could separate them—Jude would rip them a new one.

Their vastly differing personalities should have been a warning. A sign. Robin should have accepted it while he was young, it would have saved him a lot of heartache when he turned 15 and presented as an omega.

It should have been obvious, yet he was still thrown into a deep depression. His unrealistic dreams of being an alpha—being powerful, standing alongside Jude as equals, came crashing down.

Robin pressured his mother into helping him cover it immediately, buying suppressants and scent blockers. He managed to convince his entire class that he just never presented, and he knew that the lie would only last so long, but he thought it more preferable than coming clean.

The only secret Robin's ever kept from Jude, is his secondary gender.

"You fucking suck at math," Jude remarks.

Robin glances up from where he's sitting with his legs criss-crossed on his bed. He spots Jude across the room on his desk chair, reclined with his feet on the dresser. He's obnoxiously chewing bubble gum, and Robin feels irritated.