Running In The Dark

A/N: Thank you for all your votes and comments, it's really appreciated. Sorry for the delay in posting, life has been hectic the last few days.

~°*°~

March 5th 2010, Mystic Falls, Virginia

Song: And We Run; Within Temptation feat. Xzibit

And we run

With a lonely heart

And we run, for this killing love

And we run, 'till the heavens above

Yeah we run

Running in the dark

And we run, 'till we fall apart

And we run, 'till the heavens above

Imogen's POV

I wake up to Damon's arms wrapped around me as usual. I think back to what we discovered last night: I'm actually pleased. I was prepared to turn to be with Damon forever, especially after we found out Scarlett is immortal, and any future children will also be. I remember the ring Damon gave me last night and wiggle out of his hold so I can find out if I need to put the daylight spell on it. He grumbles and opens his eyes.

"Where are you going?" He asks sleepily.

"To see if I need to spell the daylight ring you gave me." I reply.

I step up to the window and open the curtain slightly, letting the sunlight fall onto my hand. It burns and I jump back.

"I'm going to take that as a yes." Damon says, climbing out of bed. He takes hold of the hand that I just burned and kisses it gently.

"I think you might be right." I say as I get the ring and the spell from the table. I put the ring on the bed and ask Damon to open the curtains whilst I stay out of the way. I say the words of the spell.

"Done." I say. Damon picks the ring up and puts it on the ring finger of my right hand. I tentatively move my hand into the sunlight. Nothing happens.

"It worked." I say.

"Of course it did." Damon says with a chuckle, and he kisses me softly. His touch still sends shivers through my body, but I can feel it more now due my heightened senses.

"Is it strange that I'm happy about this?" I ask. Damon looks at me slightly confused.

"About being a hybrid or the daylight ring?" He asks.

"Well, both but mainly about being a hybrid. I'm no longer the odd one out." I say.

"No it's not strange. I'm happy too. I will always protect you but it makes me happier knowing you're harder to kill than we thought." he replies.

"I think I need... errr... breakfast." I tell him.

"Blood?" He asks. I nod in response.

"I'll be right back." He says, pulling his jeans on. He is back quickly with two blood bags.

"Try and stay in control. It will be hard but if you're in control from the start it will be easier." I nod and take the blood bag. I open the top and take a sip. I close my eyes as my face starts to change and take a deep breath.