14 - S.P.E.W

Serena's POV:

I'm waiting in Astronomy Tower when the stairs creak behind me. "Ced, is that you?" I ask. I see his dark hair pop out and he appears. "Yeah, it's me." He walks toward me and asks, "Are you going to tell me what happened on the train?" "Yeah, sure. I'll tell you now." I say. "Malfoy said." I hesitate. "What did that git say to you?" Cedric demands. "He said that he liked me. And then he kissed me." I say quickly. "Did you... kiss him back?" he asks. "No. Because I was shocked and I didn't have time to react. Then you came barging in." "Well, do you like him back?" "I'm not sure." Cedric looks at me and asks, "Did you think I'd be mad at you for this? Is this why you were avoiding me?" "No! I was just confused so I wanted to clear my mind!" I say. Cedric nods and we're silent for a while.

"You're not entering the Triwizard Tournament," I say, breaking the silence. Cedric frowns and says, "Why can't you be supportive of what I want? I'm very supportive of you. I won't even be mad if you like Malfoy back." "I am supportive. But Ced, there could be deaths. You could die. I can't lose you. You're my best friend." I plead. Cedric scoffs. "Serena, I'm not gonna die from some tournament." "Is there no way I can change your mind?" "No, probably not." I sigh. "Well if that's all, I'll leave now," I say, leaving the tower.

I personally think our new professor is crazy. And not the good kind of crazy. Professor Moody is teaching us about the Three Unforgivable Curses. I sit at the back of the classroom, not paying attention to the lesson. My mind is filled with worry for Cedric. I'm worried and mad at Cedric. "Ms. McGonagall!" Professor Moody barks. I look up. "Name one of the Three Unforgivable Curses." I look at Ron who is mouthing Imperius Curse. "Uh, the Imperius curse, professor," I say quickly. "Very good. And for the record, I saw that Weasley. Your father should know a great deal about that curse. Now watch as I perform it on this spider." Professor Moody says. He performs the three curses on the spider and I'm disgusted. Who would ever have the heart to use those curses?

I'm walking in the courtyard with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. "Weasley! Hey, Weasley!" The four of us turn around. I excuse myself quickly, not wanting to deal with Malfoy.

A few minutes later, there was a loud BANG. I hear Professor Moody shouting at someone. As I turn around, I see Professor Moody turn Malfoy into a pure white ferret. Professor Moody starts bouncing the ferret upside down when my aunt rushes over, shrieking at Professor Moody. During dinner, all anyone could talk about is how awesome Professor Moody is for turning Malfoy into a ferret.

I've just finished my homework in the library and it's pretty late. "Balderdash," I say and the portrait flies open. As soon as I walk in, Hermione leads me over to the sofa. "I've just started a society for helping house-elves. Would you like to join? It only costs two sickles." "Thanks but no thanks," I grumble. "Well, I think that you should. Elves are being treated like slaves! We have to do something about this. We have to stand up for those who can't!" Hermione says in a shrilly voice. As we head up to our dorms, she keeps giving me reasons until I can't handle it anymore. "ALRIGHT! ALRIGHT!" I yell. I grab two sickles and hand it to her. She hands me a badge. I stare at the badge. "I'm not wearing that," I say. "Why?" Hermione asks. "No offense, Hermione. But no one in their right mind will wear a badge that says, 'SPEW'." I say. "But then how are you going to spread the message?" she asks. "If you don't make me wear this badge, I will tell one Slytherin and one Hufflepuff about this 'society'," I say. Hermione thinks about it and agrees.

The next day, I tell Cedric about S.P.E.W. as my promise to Hermione. "Sounds interesting," he says absentmindedly. "Interesting?! I wouldn't even be in it if she didn't annoy me until I agreed." I complained. "Mhm." Cedric agrees. "Cedric Diggory! Are you even listening to me?" I shout. Cedric snapped out of it and says, "Sorry. I was just thinking about something else." "Oh. What?" I ask. "The tournament," he says. "You really want to participate?" I ask, hoping that he'd say no. He nods. I sigh. "Well, if that's what you really want, guess I can't stop you," I say with finality.

After Charms, I found Malfoy. "Can I speak to you in private?" I ask. He nods and we go into an empty classroom. "So, my friend created a society called S.P.E.W. and I promised her I would tell you about it. So, yeah. Do you want to join?" I ask. "What does S.P.E.W. stand for?" he asks. "Oh, something about supporting rights for house-elves. I wasn't really paying attention when she told me." I say. "No thanks," he says shortly. "Well, that's great. I'll just tell her you said no." I say, turning around to leave. "Wait!" Malfoy says. I look at him. "Do you really have nothing else to say? After everything that happened on the train?" he asks. "Draco, I- it's just I'm not sure how I feel about you yet. I mean, you're a git to my friends and then there's what happened at the Quidditch World Cup when you comforted me in your tent." I say. Draco looks disappointed, but he says, "It's ok, I'll wait." I give him a weak smile and I leave the classroom.