39 - The Death of Albus Dumbledore

Draco's POV:

         "Expelliarmus!" I yell. Dumbledore's wand flies out of his hand and lands on the floor. "Good evening, Draco," Dumbledore says calmly. "And I am going to assume that you are not acting alone tonight?" he asks. "No, I've got backup. There are Deatheaters in your school tonight," I say. "You found a way to let them in, did you?" he asks. "Yeah. Right under your nose and you never even realized!" I say. "You've got a job to do tonight, don't you? Well, you must get on and do it, my dear boy," he says.

           I hesitate because at that moment I remember what Serena told me. I know you would never intentionally hurt someone. "Draco, Draco, you are not a killer," Dumbledore says. "How do you know? You don't know what I am capable of. You don't know what I've done!" I say. "Oh yes, I do. You almost killed Katie Bell and Ronald Weasley. But you also regretted it as soon as you saw how Serena McGonagall reacted. So tell me... is your heart really in all the attempts you tried to kill me?" he asks. "H-how do you know about Serena?" I ask. "Believe me Draco, I have eyes and ears all over the school," he replies. "And yet I was able to let Deatheaters into the school tonight," I say. "Ah, yes. You managed to do something I thought was impossible. How did you do it?" he asks. "Vanishing Cabinet in the Room of Requirement," I answer. "I take it that there is a pair?" he asks. "In Borgin and Burkes," I say. "Last I hear, the Vanishing Cabinet was beyond repair. How did you manage to fix it?" he asks. "Serena told me a spell she heard Professor McGonagall mention," I say. For the first time tonight, Dumbledore looked surprised. "And she willingly gave you this information? Is she a Deatheater?" he asks. "No. I would've never let her become a Deatheater even if she wanted to be one. I lied to her. I told her it was a present for my mom that I had to fix. I-I tricked her into helping me," I say quietly.

            "Let us discuss your options, Draco," Dumbledore says finally. "Options? You think I have a choice? I don't have any choice or option! I have to kill you or he'll kill me and everyone I love!" I say. "I can help you Draco. We can hide you and your mother more completely than you could ever imagine. Your father is safe in Azkaban at the moment. And as for your girlfriend, she is safe within the walls of Hogwarts," Dumbledore says. It was tempting. Even if there was the slightest chance, would I risk it? No. "Well, I don't think that Hogwarts is that safe considering the fact that I was able to let Deatheaters in tonight. They should be here any minute," I say.

          Right on cue, the door burst open and four Deatheaters, including my aunt Bellatrix, entered Astronomy Tower. "Do it, Draco. Kill him!" Bellatrix whispers in my ear. My hand is shaking and I feel like throwing up. All I could think of is how sorry I am. I'm sorry I lied to you again. Then Snape comes up the stairs and shoves me aside. "Severus... please," Dumbledore pleads. Snape points his want at Dumbledore and says, "Avada Kedavra."

            I watch as Dumbledore falls backward and out of Astronomy Tower. "Out of here, quickly," Snape orders. The rest of the Deatheaters leave Astronomy Tower, followed by Snape. I was about to leave when someone called my name. "Draco! How could you?" Serena yells. Tears are streaming down her face. "Who's this?" I turn around. My aunt Bellatrix had returned. She gasps. "Oh weren't you at the Ministry? We're going to have a lot of fun with you. Draco, grab her," she says with a grin on her face. I didn't move. "Do you hear me, Draco? Take her with us," she says. "I'm not going anywhere with you guys," Serena says. Bellatrix laughs and says, "Oh really? Cru-" "She's not worth it. Let's go," I say quickly. My aunt hesitates and reluctantly leaves Astronomy Tower with me.

               I run out of the castle with the rest of the Deatheaters. Flashes of lights were everywhere. Then, Hagrid's hut blows up in flames. I run with Snape towards the gates where we would then be able to Apparate. When we got near the gate, Snape told me to run as he turned to face Potter. I reach the gate and I apparate to Malfoy Manor. 

              When I got home, my mom hugged me tightly. "What is the matter?" she asks. "She found out. And Bellatrix tried to take her with us here. I don't know what will happen between us. She probably hates me now," I say. "Why don't you go clean up and then write her a letter?" my mom suggests. I nod and I head upstairs.

            After I took a shower, I grabbed a piece of parchment and a quill. I started writing:
Dear Serena,
      I know that you are probably going to hate me now but please hear me out. I'm sorry for lying to you. I had no other choice but to kill Dumbledore. If I didn't kill Dumbledore then he would've killed you. I don't know how I'll make it through this if you're mad at me. I wish things turned out differently. I hope you're okay because I don't know what I'll do if anything happened to you because of me. I love you, babe.

          A week later, I got a letter back:
Draco,
       You shouldn't have done that. At least Dumbledore stood a chance against You-Know-Who. It would be like killing a unicorn to save a skrewt. We're having Dumbledore's funeral now, so I hope you're happy with the choices you made. You're asking me to forgive you when you're serving the man who killed my best friend. You're asking me to forgive you after you lied to me over and over again. How do you expect me to forgive you? If I were you, I wouldn't write to me anymore.

            I finish reading the letter with tears in my eyes. That's it. It was over for us. I thought that I was protecting our relationship when I was really ruining it.