Chapter Three 14

We ran and ran until we finally reached the beach on the first island.

I placed my hands on my knees and tried to catch my breath.

"Heeey! Nekomaru! Show yourself!" Akane called out to the team manager.

"We have come to pick you up! Please come out of hiding!"

Everyone raised their voices and looked around the area for our friend.

"Nekomaru!"

"Come on, Nekomaru! This isn't time for hide and seek!"

No response.

We raised our voices and looked around again.

He still wasn't responding.

We continued to search for him until we finally gave up.

I sat down on the sandy ground, closed my eyes, and listened to the ocean's waves.

I remember...

...This is where I first met Nagito....

"W-What the hell, man... He's nowhere to be found...!" Kazuchi groaned in frustration.

"Did we get false info from Monokuma again...?"

"To think that I actually believed him...." I sighed, "But hey, hey! Maybe if we try hard enough, he'll show up!" I stood up from the ground and tried to cheer everyone up.

"Monokuma promised us that he'd bring back Nekomaru, so don't lose hope now!" I smiled encouragingly at everyone.

"Y-Yeah... You're ri–"

"Gahahahaha! What happened? Were you all looking for me?" A familiar voice laughed.

"T-That voice...!" Sonia exclaimed.

We all turned to the direction of the voice only to be greeted by an unexpected sight.

"H-Huh?!"

"Yo! Sorry I've kept ya waiting!" It was Nekomaru... at least what seemed to be Nekomaru..

Nekomaru's body now resembled that of a robot's. His once tan,rough skin was now replaced by shiny metal. Everything about him screamed 'sci-fi'.

"Huh? What's going on?" Nekomaru looked at our shocked expressions, "Perhaps you don't remember my face since we haven't seen each other for a while?!"

"That's actually pretty sad! Gahahahahaha!" Nekomaru laughed as if his sudden change in appearance didn't matter at all.

"Um... Who are you?" Akane spoke despite her shock.

"Huh? You too? What's going on?" Nekomaru looked at Akane as if she had grown two heads, "If you're messing with me then I'll stop doing it to you!"

"I don't even want to know what it stands for..." I shook my head to get rid of those dirty thoughts.

"Um... Nekomaru...? Haven't you noticed...?" Chiaki spoke, referring to Nekomaru's sudden appearance change.

"Noticed? What do you mean?" Nekomaru's confusion seemed to grow even more, "Oh, you mean this body?"

"Gahahahahahaha! This means nothing!" Nekomaru raised his mechanical arms while bright light came out of his eyes, "The name's NEKOMARU NIDAI!!! I've been reborn from the fires of hell!!!!" The robot yelled.

Remaining students:
10/17