Chapter Four 08

I walked up to Fuyuhiko, "Hey, Fuyu..." I tapped the suit-wearing blonde on the shoulder.

"What is it?" He turned to look at me.

"I was wondering... have you seen Nagito..?" I twiddled with my thumbs.

"Nagito? Aren't you guys always together?"

"He... He said that the both of us should investigate individually for this case..." I explained.

"I see... Sorry... I haven't seen him," I put on a fake smile and thanked him.

"HEY! YOU GUYS!" Kazuichi ran up to the two of us.

"Woah! Slow down," Fuyuhiko tried to calm down the mechanic.

"Is there something you want to tell us..?" I asked Kazuichi who was gasping for breath.

"Y-Yeah... I came to tell you guys that... the elevator has been fixed..." Kazuichi panted.

I beamed at what Kazuichi said and quickly made my way towards the contact elevator.

Nagito might be there...!

***

We stepped out of the elevator only to be greeted by Hajime.

"Hmph, I have returned from the depths of hell."

"Heya, Hajime!" I waved.

"G-Gundham, Y/n!" Hajime exclaimed and ran towards us.

"Yo. Sorry we're late..." Fuyuhiko apologized.

"Just so you know... It's all thanks to me! I'm the one who fixed the elevator!" Kazuichi boasted.

"See, it's just as I said, right?" I felt my heart skip a beat at the familiar voice.

"NAGI!" I tackled him into a hug.

Nagito stayed still as I continued to embrace him, "How did you get here?" I looked up at the taller male.

Nagito ignored my question and forcefully ripped off my arms that were embracing him, "More importantly, Kazuichi, did you look into that matter I asked you about?"

"Huh?" I felt a strange pang on my chest at his actions.

"Huh? Oh... that thing about the compass...?" Kazuichi questioned, "I looked into it while I was coming here, but I think this compass might be broken."

Why is Nagi ignoring me...?

"I didn't ask for you opinion. Just tell me the results," Nagito pointed his index finger at his temple and glared at the mechanic.

Did I... do something wrong...?

***

I stared at the stone Monokuma that appeared from the ground.

Nagi ignored me throughout the whole investigation...

I definitely did something wrong...

But what did I do...?

Was it-

"Y/n?" I felt someone tap me on the shoulder.

"Hm?" I turned to look at the person to see Hajime with a concerned expression.

"Aren't you... going inside...?" He gestured towards the open mouth of the Monokuma.

"O-Oh yeah... I'm going..." I stammered and stepped inside the inside the elevator that would lead us to the trial grounds.

I walked towards the very back of the elevator and just stood there, sulking.

I really wish Nagito would talk to me....

I turned my head towards the cloud of white hair.

Nagi...

***

I walked up to my podium beside Nagito.

"Now then, let's begin with a simple explanation of the class trial!" Monokuma cheered, "During the class trial you will present your arguments for who you think the blackened is, and vote for whodunnit" He began to explain.

"If you vote correctly, then only the blackened will receive punishment... But if you pick the wrong person~" He sang, "I'll punish everyone besides the blackened and that person will earn the right to leave this island!"

"I'm sure you guys are starving by now, so let's get up and raring to go!" Monokuma raised his fist and cheered, "Whoever survives will be treated to a fancy lunch. Guess what? Rabbit curry is on the menu!"

"R-Rabbit curry?!" Monomi trembled in fear.

"I'm here today... because Coach Nekomaru risked his life to protect me..." Akane started off, "So I'm gonna be the one that avenges him! I'll definitely find out who the killer is!" I smiled at her words.

"I'm... definitely not tempted by the curry, got it?" Drool started to come out of Akane's mouth.

"A-Akane! There seems to be an impressive amount of drool coming out of your mouth!" The princess gasped in shock.

I turned to look at Nagito beside me to see him looking at the others in utter distaste.

Nagito...

What.... happened to you...?