Part 1

Zora

" I don't think he's going to show, can I just get out of here right now?" I asked Inayah over the phone.

It wouldn't be the first time I got stood up on a blind date but the fact that it keeps happening is just really embarrassing.

" no, you can't. I won't let you into the apartment," she yelled back loudly, " he's probably just late, just  stay a little optimistic,"

I rolled my eyes and looked around the bar waiting for some guy named Liam to show up. I checked my watch again, " really? 10 minutes late?" I asked her and I groaned quietly.

" maybe it's traffic? Or he had an emergency, you know? Give the guy the benefit of the doubt,"

" couldn't you come with me?" I asked her, " like at least watch over me from a distance just in case something goes wrong?" And believe you me, something almost always goes wrong.

" you know I would've but I'd never in my life walk into a bar. With all that alcohol and everything, I can't," she reminded me. She was a muslim and it took me a while to understand everything she can and can't do but over the past few years I've adjusted to it pretty well.

" you know this whole thing is seriously way out of my comfort zone. I don't think I'll even be able to talk to him properly when he shows up," well that's if he shows up.

" look I know it's a little hard but that's what I'm here for. I'm here to push you out of your comfort zone a little and help you with this stuff. I mean how do you expect to find the 'one' that you're always talking about if you don't venture out a little?"

She got me there. I guess I was expecting a little too much for myself because it wasn't going to be easy to find the 'one'. And by that I meant my person, my other half, someone I could look at and be like that's  my soulmate. It would've been easier for me if I wasn't so shy.

" fine, I'll stay 10 more minutes and if he doesn't show I'm coming home. Alright?" I asked her.

She was thinking about it a little and agreed, " yeah, I'm fine with that. I'll see you at home later then. Bye,"

"Byeee," and I ended the call. I was thinking of just walking out now and just drive around a little because I really didn't want to stay here. But I knew Inayah would catch on that I was lying to her so that really wasn't an option.

We both live together in an triplex apartment. Sure we could both afford to live alone but it just seemed better to live together as we were best friends. Not to mention we both worked along side each other as well.

We worked at my fathers business company, and we mainly dealt with business deals and paperwork. It was a pretty boring job but hey it pays well and working with your best friend makes it 10 times better.

" could I have some water?" I asked the bartender. He nodded at me and handed me a water bottle out of the cooler.

Someone tapped my shoulder and I turned around to see a middle aged white man, " Liam?" I asked. He looked at me confused and I sighed quietly in relief.

" I don't know who this Liam guy is but he's missing out." He said to me and the way he was looking at me made me slightly uncomfortable, " you're gorgeous," he said loudly.

I nodded and smiled at him, not really knowing what to say because I don't take compliments well. I was about to thank him but he carried on talking.

" for a black chick," he added.

I raised my eyebrows slightly. Did he just say what I think he said? I was gonna say something back but I was feeling nervous all over and I started to think of what he'd say if I argued with him. I didn't want to attract any attention to myself so I just turned around and ignored him.