Life in the City

Gaege Pov

I don't see Eddie after I get off the train. I forgot one of my bags on the train, but it was the least important one. It had a few clothes in it, and that was it. At least I still had the rest of my clothes in a different bag, and if I needed more clothes I could buy them. I had already gotten an apartment. I had been planning on moving here for a while, and I had already paid the rent for the next 2 months. As I make my way to my apartment, my bags begin to feel really heavy. I keep trying to convince myself that I'm almost there. By the time I get to my apartment, my arms feel like they're going to fall off. And my room is on the 3rd floor, and there's no elevator. I huff and puff as I make my way up to steps. I get my key out of my pocket that was mailed to me a few days ago, and open the door. The apartment isn't in the best shape, but it's not the worst. I've seen worse. I find the bedroom, which doesn't have a bed, and set my stuff down. Good thing there is a couch though. I don't have anywhere to put my stuff right now, so I just try and organize my stuff in the suitcases. I get out my phone charger and plug my phone in on the ground. I get all my clothes together. I really packed the suitcase full of clothes. It was probably my most heavy one. I had some hoodies, some t-shirts, and some pants. Good thing there was laundry room in the basement. It was around 5 o'clock and I was hungry. I pull out my phone to see if I can find any restaurants close by. Once I find one that looks good, I grab my wallet, my phone, and my jacket. I remember to grab my key as I'm walking out. I stuff my hands in my pockets, as it is March and it's freezing out. Once I get to the restaurant that I was looking for, I order some food for takeout, and bring it back home with me. I lay it out on the ground of my apartment. It's sort of cold in the apartment, I look around and see a window open, and as luck would have it, it had started snowing and there was a small pile of snow. I close the window and go get a towel. I finish my good and then go to bed.

The next morning, I get up and get dressed. I need to look for a job today. I can't stay here forever without working. Getting my scarf and jacket on, I grab my phone, wallet, and keys. Then I remember that today is my birthday. As I walk down the steps of my apartment building I start humming Happy Birthday to You. I look down at my black fingernail. Still the same, I think. I rub is subconsciously as I walk down the sidewalk. Trying to find a job in a city is harder than you think. I finally came about a McDonald's that has Now Hiring on their window. I open the door and walk inside. 

"Welcome to McDonald's. What can I get you?" An employee with a name tag that read Micheal says.

"I wanted to fill out an application. I need a job," I say.

"Let me go get one for you," Micheal says. He comes back about a minute later with a piece of paper and a pen in his hand. "I hope to be working with you."

"Thanks," I say and take the paper. I go find a table to sit at. I fill the sheet of paper out, and then give it back to Micheal. "Hope to see you again soon."

"Me too," Micheal says and waves to me, as he waves I see a glimpse of his fingernail. Lime green. I smile at him and wave back. I leave the McDonald's and start walking back to my apartment. By the time I get back, it's close to 11 o'clock. As I walk in, I stomp off the snow on my body. I close the door and strip myself of my winter clothes. I go and lay down on the couch, and stare up at ceiling. I rest my eyes for a little bit, but my stomach rumbles, and I realize that I need to eat. I can't eat take out everyday, so I grab my phone and try and find a close by supermarket. I grab my winter clothes again, and bundle up. Grabbing my wallet and keys, I head out to find the supermarket. Once I find it, I think about all the things that my mom usually got. Bread, sandwich meat, fruit, no vegetables (I don't like them), milk, and protein bars. I have enough money to buy enough of that to last about 2 weeks. I go to the check out to buy the food. I have 2 paper bags full of food. I make my way back to my apartment. Good thing I have a refrigerator, so I can put the sandwich meat, fruit, and milk in it. I keep everything out so that I can make myself lunch, and then put it all away. Once I finish my lunch, I start to think about everything the boys are doing right now. Eddie's somewhere far away from me, and the rest of them are about 20 minutes away from me right now, probably at school. Good thing I don't need an education to work at McDonald's. 

I continue to use this process each day, until I get a call from the McDonald's I filled an application at. 

"I read over your application, and I was wondering when you can start," the manager, Sami, says.

"Anytime," I say.

"Great, see you tomorrow at 10:30 AM. Looking forward to working with you," Sami says and then hangs up. Then next morning I get started walking to McDonald's at 10 o'clock, as it takes me almost a half hour to get there. I work at McDonald's until 4 o'clock, when I get off. I go and get some take out food, as I need to get some more groceries. I have a little bit of money, and it's so cold that I take the bus to my apartment. I still have to walk a little bit from both ways to get to the bus stop. After a few months of working at McDonald's, I get promoted. I get extra pay, which is nice, because it's becoming hard to pay for rent and food, and I also get a discount on McDonald's meals. I wonder how Eddie's doing.

Part 9 done! Hope you guys liked it! Luv you guys!