Ch. 23 - This Has To End

Demi's POV;

I haven't stopped thinking about Joe since I broke up with him. I feel horrible and I just want him back. But it needed to end. It was wrong. I feel guilty for not telling him the real truth but this way I'm out of his life without him wanting me to die. Each time we pass each other at school he gives me that, 'you ruined my life' look. But he has no idea how I really did ruin his life. I so badly just want to run into his arms and kiss his soft lips.

Selena's POV;

I walk into Demi's room and spot her over by the window. “What's wrong?” I ask her. “I broke up with Joe,” she says not looking at me. “You did the right thing,” I say. “Then why I do I feel so bad?” she asks me. “Sometimes whats best, isn't what we want,” I say. “I heard your friends with Justin again,” she says still starring out the window. “Yeah, we kissed yesterday,” I say smiling as I touch my lips remembering the feel of his kiss. “But your still with Damon right?” she asks me. I nod and say, “Yeah.”

“You want the truth?” she asks as she turns to face me. I nod and look in her eyes. “Your using Justin as your safety net. I only go to him when Damon has hurt you. You don't really feel anything for him, he is just a shoulder to cry on. You two are like Landry and Trya from Friday Night Lights. It needs to stop. It's not fair to Justin that your using him like that,” she says looking me straight in the eye. I know she's right. I hate when she's right. I go over and sit next to her. I sigh and look out the window. Demi and I both look out the window watching the fall leaves fall to the ground. We are both thinking about the person we are using.

                                                               *            *            *

Later that day I visit Justin. I walk into his room and his smiles. He walks over to me and kisses me softly. I kiss back knowing I shouldn't. Demi's words echo in my head, “Your using Justin as your safety net. You don't really feel anything for him, he is just a shoulder to cry on.” I pull back and Justin gives me a puzzled look. “What's wrong?” he asks. “I'm using you,” I sigh. “what?” he asks confused. “I'm just using you as a safety net or a shoulder to cry on,” I say. The room goes silent. Justin doesn't say a word. “This needs to stop. We can be friends but nothing more. It's fair to you,” I say spilling the truth. “But I don't mind being you shoulder to cry on. I don't want this to stop,” he says.

I look into his hazel eyes and can tell he really cares about me. I then think about Damon. Damon doesn't care about me, nor does he love. And right here is a guy who loves and cares about me. I feel stupid for not realizing it sooner. It's not Justin I'm using, it's Damon. If only I could break up with him. If I even tried he would kill me or Justin. If I was under normal cerium stances I would be with Justin. But with Damon I can't let myself fall for Justin.

I shake my head. “Justin, we can't keep sneaking around. I mean what are going to do if Damon catches us? He'd kill you, we can't risk that. This has to end,” I say. Justin knows I'm telling the truth and nods. “I'll see you tomorrow, friend,” I say as I head for the door. “I love you,” Justin says before I reach the door. “I love you too,” I whisper just loud enough for him to hear.