Ch. 44 - The Struggle

Ryan's POV;

Rachel and I have brought Sydney over to meet my mom for the first time. My dad is out so she can finally meet her. My mom smiles at her. "She's beautiful," my mom tells me. I smile. Rachel holds my hand as she watches my mom and her. We sit down and have dinner. Everything was going perfect when my dad came storming in the kitchen. He could tell by the way he walked and talked that he was drunk. 

"Who is this?" he asks. Sydney looks at him with fear in her little eyes. "Dad, this is my daughter, Sydney," I tell him as I stand up. "Right you got that slut locked up in middle school," he mutters. I whisper to Rachel to take Sydney to the basement. She nods and stands up from the table. "Where do you think your going?" my dad asks Rachel as he grabs onto her shirt. "T-to the bathroom," she strutters. 

While my dad is yelling at Rachel, my mom takes Sydney downstairs. "Leave her alone," I yell as I force my dad away from Rachel. Rachel stands behind me frightened. My mom is back in the room now. "Why couldn't you be like your brother and go to college?" he asks me. "Cause I'm not him," I tell him. "I wish you were, your half the man he is," he says coldly. "I'm way better than you! You the one who's cheating on your wife and beating up your family!" I shout. My dad then shoves be down against the table and punches me over and over again. 

Rachel's POV;

I sneak out of the kitchen and take out my phone. I glance over and see that Ryan's dad is now beating Ryan's mom. Ryan lays on the floor bleeding. I dial 911. "911, what is your emergency?" "My name is Rachel Bilson, my boyfriend's dad is beating his mom and him," I say. "What is your location?" I tell her my location then turn around to see Ryan's dad pointing a run at his wife. I drop the phone and run over to the kitchen. I push him down but the gun still goes off but ends up shooting Ryan in the arm. 

Ryan's dad lays under me. He looks at me, furiously. "Don't hurt me, or anyone. If you really love your family, you won't do this," I tell him. He points his gun to my head. He has his arms around me, so I can't get away. "You don't wanna do this, you have a family who cares about you, please don't," I plead. Ryan's dad drops the gun and lets me go. Just then the police charge in the door. 

They take Ryan's dad out in handcuffs and take the rest of us to the hospital. Ryan had to get his arm stitched up and is wearing a cast but is not in a life-threatening condition. Ryan's dad has been sentenced to jail for two years with ten years probation. Ryan's mom got a restraining order against her husband. And Ryan and his mom plan to move in the same neighborhood as my family, so it's easier to see Sydney.