Victim- Chapter 35

You know in those crime dramas where the victim returns home to a dramatic audience, with music bellowing in the background, as if the ‘dun, dun, dun’ moments have finally come to an end. The authority figures smiling as they watch the victim emerge into the crowd, feeling their accomplishment. The families and friends of the victims waiting on the sidewalk as if that’s where they’d always been waiting, their faces watching in awe as the victim returns. Cameras flashing as they snapshot the return of the miracle, the person who was never expected to return, just so that they can compete for the biggest pay cheque over the coverage of the scandal, the local crowds cheering with what’s meant to seem like care and genuine happiness, when in reality they’re cheering with pride over the fact that they’re there to witness the return of the scandalous victim. Everything in that moment revolves around that victim. And in this moment I played the victim.

As I stood at the exit of the police station after hours of interrogation and people tending to my wounds and needs, I was free to leave. I was free to return ‘home’. I gulped before taking my first step into the crowd, an officer stood either side of me, a proud smile covering their mouths as they walked me towards my family. At first I could only see my mom, her face both full of utter joy and concern, then eventually I could see my dad, he was dressed in a suit and tie, his hair combed back and fixed with gel, his eyebrows neatly groomed, they looked like the perfect victims parents. As I got closer I realised that this was it, I have to face them knowing what I’ve done, I have to return to our home, I have to sleep in my bedroom and pretend like everything is okay. Finally I was inches away from them, I got ready to open my arms to embrace them in a ‘thank god I’m home’ hug when my feet stopped, time stopped, everything stopped. That was the moment that I saw him, his hands gripped to the hard metal covering the wheels of the chair, his legs stiff as tree trunks covered in shiny blue plastic, deep purple grooves under his eyes as if he hadn’t slept in years, his dark hair flat and unruly, his curls lapping the tops of his ears, his deep brown eyes met mine as if they’d been searching for too long and when our eyes finally locked he let out a breath, a breath of which I can only presume to be relief.

“Luke” I whispered under my breath, I was aware of everyone’s gaze on me, photographers and news reporters moving to capture an angle that presented both myself and Luke as we gazed at each other with longing stares.

I was unsure of what to do. If I ran to him would it make me a coward? If I ran away would it make me an even bigger coward? I came back for him. I came back for this deeply emotionally and evidently physically hurt man that was okay in dying if he was dying for me. He loved me, or rather loves me for everything that I am and everything that I am not, he represents the only honesty and truth in the world and if anything he gives me some faith in the world. After deciding for too long I let my heart make the decision for me, I run towards him, my feet heavy hitting the pavement beneath me, my eyes only focused on his, I need to hold him in my arms like he held me so many times. As I reached him, I let myself fall to my knees and I rest my head in his lap, he leans forward in his chair wrapping his arms around my shoulders, his arms squeezing me tight as if he was afraid of letting me go. I wasn’t aware I was crying until I felt the wet patch beneath my cheek soaking his grey tracksuit bottoms. I pulled my head from his lap and again I looked at him, with all of the gashes and bruises covering his face he was marginally different to Jai in appearance, something that made me almost feel relieved. I lift my hands to caress his face, I run my rough fingers over his wounds as if I could magically heal them, each touch making my heart break, shattering it into a thousand pieces. He bows his head as if ashamed of his state, I lift his head ever so slightly and lean forward, as my lips meet his I feel a sudden rush through my body, the pit of my stomach heating at his touch, he moves his hands to my face and I move mine to the back of his neck where goose bumps quickly arise. I’m aware of all of the sudden flashes snapping pictures of two lovers being reunited at last only creating more of a stir to this tragedy. I know if Jai was to emerge with me that it would’ve created a hostile atmosphere, the news reporters shouting questions about our disappearance, why were we taken together, the girl and her lover’s brother; the whole situation is bound to create quite a stir.