It's Time- Chapter 34

*Five days later*

Five days here and five days in completely unexpected bliss, if anyone could’ve told me months ago when I first met Jai that I’d one day get him to tell me that he loved me I would’ve ever laughed in their face or nervously vomited. Being with him is like being apart from the world, it’s none else even exists when we’re together, we’re us, we’re utterly delusional but ignorantly happy and as I woke up today, with his arms wrapped tightly around my waist as if it was the last time he could hold me, I knew that today everything would change. Today we have to leave this place; we have to leave this place which was supposed to be our own prison, some sort of hell but it was the total opposite. Knowing what I knew, despite the odds I could only hope that things wouldn’t change once we left.

“Hope” Jai whispers, his voice raspy and coarse, the most beautiful sound of morning. If I could choose to wake up like this every day for the rest of my life then I would, ignorantly I would fall in love with him and allow the love to consume me, I would fall asleep in his arms and wake up in them just the same, I would spend every minute or every day by his side adoring him more than the day before, but I knew, as much as I wished it weren’t true that our clash is inevitable. We can’t run anymore, we can’t hide anymore, we have to lie and face the brutal truth of our destruction, pieces of our lives are stuck together with lies and if I were to spend every day with him I know that eventually what we’ve done would eat away at me, and the constant gnawing of the unknown would kill me.

“Morning” I smiled, the dim glimpse of sunrise illuminating his alluring features.

“Is it today?” he asks, he didn’t have to expand on what he meant, I already knew. He knew what today would bring and I knew just like me he wished that he could fall back to sleep and not have to live today. He didn’t want to live today knowing that this is day we are to be torn apart, we have to go back and face what we’ve done and he feels just as guilty as I do.

 “Yeah” I gulped, pausing to take a breath “It’s today”

My arms ached from being in the same position too long, the deep grooves around my wrists a dark purple/blue, the rope burns around my ankles propagating expeditiously. The smell of urine intoxicated the room; the irony of being so caught up in inhumane conditions was lost on me. I would be hungry if I wasn’t feeding off of the consumption of love or the invigorating power I felt knowing how consumed he was by me.

“We need to talk about this” he insists, sitting up and blinking several times. He looked as if he was desperate to stretch; needing to shake off some kind of feeling or sleep in general but with his hands tied so hard behind his back there was no chance of him moving. All deeds that needed to be completed were done, we have conducted this lie accurately and there’s no doubt that it’ll be bought by juvenile minds of the NYPD.

“I know” I sigh, hoping that this conversation won’t drag, the last thing I want is to feel worse than I already do, he knows that when we return there’s no way that we can possibly be together, we have to avoid each other, or we have to disappear.

“Okay” he says moving up slowly so that he’s eye level with me. The act is almost intimidating yet sweet “I guess the obvious question to ask would be, do you still love me?” he asks with such sincerity that it catches me off guard, his eyes shimmering like a thousand dim bulbs all trying to find some kind of unique spark, failing but joining in their masses.

“Of course” I choke, knowing the turn that this conversation will soon take.

“But we both know-“ I cut him off by kissing him softly, I can’t bear to hear him say it, I can’t bear the thought of being apart from him. Our lips collide in the most infuriating way, it’s so passionate and full of the most affection yet it’s knowing. Knowing how soon we have to depart our little bliss.

“I know” I whisper, our lips inches apart, my skin heated from being in his presence.

“I don’t want to-“ he began, his eyes being welling up, his bottom lip stuck out.

“I know” I whisper again, this time tears forming in my own eyes “But we have too” I tell him, I’m afraid of what today will bring but we have to fit this, like we fight everything, together.

“We’re going home” he breathes, his voiced hushed and his mood undetectable.

“I know” I whisper for what seems like the one hundredth time. Is it home anymore? I considered our place in Hartford home for the past few months, more than I’d ever considered New York home.

“Home is where the heart is” he whispered more to himself than to me, so to that I could only respond.

“I know”

The day dragged on, I continued to repeat ‘I know’ several times as Jai continued to state the horribly obvious. I felt my heart break several times in the space of only a few hours, it felt like only minutes, minutes I had to say goodbye to this evil, consuming person that I had fallen awfully in love with.

“It’s time to go” Daniel practically shouts as he bursts through the door of the security unit, the light trails in behind him, the glow almost blinding as I’d spent so long in darkness, pardon the pun.

“We’re ready” Jai nods as Daniel moves to un-tie us “We’re ready to go home”.

Sorry it was only short but I promised you an update on my birthday, so here it is. I will be uploading the next chapter very soon, but this is just a filler chapter before the pair return to New York, what will it bring? Let me know your thoughts and theories in the comments below (: And again I will be dedicating the chapter to my favourite comments so get commenting your thoughts!