Run- Chapter 31

*recap*

“I found your phone” he revealed dramatically as if a ‘dun, dun, dun’ was about thunder through the house

“Daniel stop being a fucking idiot and tell us what happened” Jai practically screamed in annoyance.

“There was sixty seven missed calls” he took a deep breath,  before Daniel could continue Jai’s phone rang, his Elvis ring tone sounding through the entire house, echoing dramatically off of each wall.

“Answer it” I ordered, his guilty expression made me realise that the pair of them knew something that I didn’t.

“It’s n-not important right now” Jai said, his voice shaky. He reached into his pocket to grab his phone but before he could decline the call the answer machine sounded, a familiar voice coming from the other line.

“Jai, are you there?”

The voice bellowing from the other end of the line was one that I had never expected hear again, a voice that shook me right to the core. It was Luke’s voice.

“W-what?” I stumbled back a few steps in shock, Jai’s eyes were secured on mine as if he was trying asses my emotions before he revealed whatever great story that could possibly co-inside with the return of my presumed dead love.

“Hope, sit down” Jai spoke softly clearly afraid on my reaction, he made a movement to stand up.

“Don’t tell me what to do” I shrieked, all of my anger rushing through my veins making them pulsate monstrously. How could he be alive? How could I not know that he’s still alive?  I felt my heart rise into my throat, tears brimmed my eyes. I wanted to ask every question that swarmed my mind, I wanted to scream at him for lying to me but I couldn’t. All I could think about was Luke. He was alive, he survived the explosion.

“H-hope please listen to me” he ran towards me, the blanket slipping from his body so that he was once again stark naked. Daniel made a move to cover his eyes.

“Please just leave me alone” my voice came out weaker than intended as I swung open the front door. I didn’t know where I was going but all I knew is that I had to get away from here, away from him. Luke’s death was the reason that I shut my humanity off, his death was my reason for losing all hope in love; his death was my reason for leaving with Jai and leaving behind my whole life.

Did Jai know he was alive the whole time? Is this why he made me move away from New York? The questions only angered me further because Jai controlled the answers. He controlled me, he manipulated me into thinking that my first love had died in a terrible accident, an accident caused by him, and he convinced me that the only way to escape the pain that emotionally killed me was to embrace my darkness. He made me this way; he’s been controlling me this the entire time and I was too naive to notice, how could I be so fucking delusional?  I made my way to the SUV and hopped inside; I shoved the keys in the ignition and pulled out of the driveway.  I began to drive towards Walmart, I needed to see a familiar face that could make me feel human again.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket but I decided to ignore it, I knew it’d be Jai and I can’t process any valuable words to say to him right now so his call is best ignored. I drove steadily down the freeway, I tried to push away all of the burdening questions and thoughts revolving Luke’s presumed death by focusing my complete attention to the road ahead.

What now? What do I do now that Luke’s...alive? Am I meant to rush back to normality and run to his aide? Does he know that I’m ‘dead’?

Several miles down the freeway I found the mind boggling questions still clouding my thoughts, I reached across and hit the stereo button, immediately the driver’s space was filled with the sound of Nirvana. I felt bile rise in my throat at the thought of Jai and I listening to these songs while we fucked like crazy in the back row of seats. I reached to change the station, but found myself turning it off. There is nothing that can stop these neurotic thoughts from burdening me.