Chapter 51.

Sometimes he wondered, why he liked to torture himself

He knew it was painful to keep looking at that fucking picture on his laptop screen, but he couldn't help it.

It was one of candid pictures that Jungsoo sent to him, among several that had Jungkook in them.
This one was the worst of all.
You were clad in a white bathrobe, stood at the balcony of the hotel room, while Jungkook was in casual white shirt and blue denim, hunched forward a little and resting both of his arms on the railing of the balustrade, his head turned to the side, smiling while staring at you.

The first time he looked at that photo, he felt an unfamiliar pang in his heart.
Just like they said, a picture could speak a thousand words, his imagination running wild over the bitter fact that you and Jungkook were staying in the same room.

He should have deleted that picture, all of them.
What was the point of staring at them anyway, it wouldn't change the reality that he was unable to brace himself to let you go for that matter.
He didn't want to go through hell again like those four months you were away from him.

It was your smile, that full and happy beam on your face that prevented him to erase the picture.
He would keep going back and stared at it until he forgot how many times already.

It was true that people always took things for granted.
He never realized, how he treasured those beautiful smiles, the glowing eyes that was so radiant on your pretty face, and how you could take his breath away just by doing that simple thing.

"How long do you plan to ban Jungkook from the mansion?"

Taehyung stood at the door, folded his arms on his chest.

"He told me that nothing happened between him and Yuri."

Stepping inside the study room, he took a seat on the chair in front of his brother while observing the elder.

"You know Jungkook doesn't lie."

He scoffed in sardonic tone.

"It doesn't matter. The fact that he actually went all the way to Bali for her already showed enough."

"It won't happen if you treat her right. Confining her here will not solve the problem."

"Do not justify what he did, Tae. I'm just doing what I can to protect her. I'm not taking chances like ... our mother."

He could see Taehyung's jaw tensed over their mother being mentioned.
The night when they lost their mother was the night that changed everything about their life.

"It was also hard for me to accept, but I had tried to let it go. We have to, Hyung.
Fate is never in our hands' to decide.
You ... you can't prevent it."