Chapter 38

The next day, Nora and Kol sat in two cushioned armchairs to watch the bed in front of them. Katerina Petrova was taking her sweet time waking up from her last temporary death.

"Must be because of the vervain on these ropes," Nora grumbled, resting her chin on the palm of her hand as she scowled. "Which idiot came up with this idea?"

The few people present in the room coughed awkwardly, their eyes darting around the place but never landing on Kol.

"Of course it's my husband," Nora mumbled, turning to the culprit who was smiling smugly. "Do I even need to ask why? We already look like big bosses and the girl spent her night having her neck broken. Why the vervain?"

"Of course it is to teach her how to live as a vampire," Kol replied shamelessly before he leaned towards her and whispered huskily, "So, wife, did I do well? Can I have a reward?"

Nora looked at him blankly for a second before she responded in a low voice. "I don't know Kol. Tell me, did you do well?"

He nodded quickly, his eyes flashing with desire as his mind conjured pictures of what kind of reward he could get out of his little darling.

Nora grasped his chin tightly and stared at him, an amused glint in her eyes. "And this has nothing to do with the fact that miss Petrova suddenly decided to ruin Klaus' ritual," she said, revealing out loud Kol's hidden thoughts.

This was the problem with being married to the same person for centuries. At one point, your wife knew you too well.

Still, Kol forced her to release his chin and kissed her fingertips.

"Of course not," he affirmed. And if his smirk betrayed him, well, he simply didn't care at all.

Nora's shoulders shook in silent laughter. "Then for your reward..."

"Yes, beloved wife?"

"What do you think of staying two more weeks in the tropical forest? You looked so excited by my idea when I told you about it."

Her words were more efficient than a bucket of cold water. He let go of her hands and sat back in his seat, pouting.

"Oh don't be like that, hon," Nora tried to coax him, her voice trembling with laughter. "Think about all the tribes living in the forest. We might learn new spells."

"So? One good thing for weeks of pure hell," Kol grumbled without casting a glance towards Nora.

She pulled on his sleeve and he could hear the complaint in her voice. "Is traveling with me so unpleasant, honey? Or is it that I'm not as interesting as magic?"

Kol grimaced. He hated when she did that because he would always feel guilty. Especially with her final blow.

Here it came...

"Husband..."

"Fine!" Kol exclaimed in slight exasperation, throwing his hand in the air. No matter what, he could never resist when she said that word sweetly, with her blue eyes staring at him with love.

He pulled her onto his lap and wrapped his arms under her breasts. "Two more weeks in the forest. But after that, we are going to be pirates for at least four years. Alright?"

"On the sea?" Nora asked hesitantly.

"No, in the sky," Kol deadpanned.

"Fine... But if you got yourself swallowed by a -"

He quickly put a hand over her mouth to silence her, his eyes looking at the people around them suspiciously. They were all standing with their hands behind their back and their heads down as if the floor was the most interesting thing in the room. All in all, they reminded Kol of ostriches.