Chapter 51

The tension had only eased a little when Elijah joined them, worry darkening his face and making him appear a few years older physically.

"We might have a problem", he started without preamble, his voice so low that Kol only managed to understand him because of his vampire hearing.

Not bothering with a response, Kol placed his hand on Nora's bare arm and began to draw the words on her skin with his finger.

If Elijah took notice of his movements, he didn't say anything and explained instead, "Elena met with our mother. I couldn't hear anything. Naturally, I asked Elena about it when she walked out of the room but I am positive that she lied to me."

Kol had just finished tracing the last word when Nora scratched the back of his hand. He furrowed his brow and nodded. She was right. A crazy witch and a doppelganger meeting couldn't be a good thing. Doppelgangers could be used in far too many magic rituals and curses.

Niklaus was probably thinking along the same lines as he clenched his fists and said through clenched teeth, "I'll be right back."

With that said, the blond hybrid turned around and disappeared into the crowd. Kol glanced at the now empty place quizzically but didn't make any comments, choosing to turn to Elijah instead.

"You never involved me in your plans before," he pointed out casually. "Are you sick, Elijah?"

Elijah didn't try to conceal his thoughts. "I have recently come to the realization that perhaps I do not know you as well as I believed. I am... trying to change that."

Towards Elijah's words, Kol didn't show any reaction and simply gave him a faint, polite but distant smile. He had long since become jaded and had learned not to take his siblings' words seriously. Sometimes, actions spoke louder than words. And his siblings' actions had always been louder than fireworks.

Niklaus came back with a pretty blonde girl wearing a long blue dress and a somewhat familiar diamond bracelet.

Elijah raised a brow toward the girl who was looking slightly confused.

"Miss Forbes," he greeted her, "you were on Elena's list of people to protect."

"Good to know... I guess," the girl responded warily.

"May I introduce you to my younger brother Kol and his wife Nora? Kol, Nora, this is Elena's dear friend, Caroline Forbes."

Seeing Nora hiding a smirk behind her hand, Kol winked at her.

"Er... Good evening. Nice to meet you. It must be difficult, being siblings with Klaus and..." Caroline briefly glanced at Elijah but eventually chose not to name Elijah. Which was a pity because it was also hard to live with him.

Kol gave Caroline a nod while Nora grinned and reached out to shake the girl's hand. "Nice to meet you too, Elena's dear friend. Can't say I met the girl though, so I will settle for Caroline if it's alright with you. Like the guy with the stiff smile just said, the name is Nora." Then pointing at Kol, she added, "and the handsome fellow here is my husband, Kol."

Caroline's nervous smile instantly became warmer. The wariness in her eyes, however, remained.

Elijah, being the saint-like vampire and serious older brother that he was, took the lead in addressing the issue of the meeting between Elena and Esther.

"You see, Miss Forbes, my mother has never been one to apologize, even and perhaps, even more, when she is in the wrong. So, would you please tell me what Elena is planning with our mother?"

Caroline crossed her arms in front of her and frowned. Kol was forced to admit that the girl knew how to be self-confident. Here she was, standing in front of the oldest and deadliest people of the world, and yet she showed not even an ounce of fear.