Chapter 27

1152, Byzantine Empire

Kol didn't know when the wooden spoon in his hand had become a stake but it did, the smooth surface now lying in his palm as his fingers slowly caressed it. He had done a beautiful job. With a bit of strength and the accurate angle, it would easily pierce through skin and muscles and reach the heart. Not enough to kill him but a normal vampire would definitely not survive it.

His thumb stroke the stake while Henrik - fake brother, not the one he remembered and loved - was whispering sweet nothing into his ears. Killerkillerkiller.

Blood was dripping from the ceiling, splattering everywhere in the room. He could even feel the liquid on his face, rolling down his cheeks like blood tears and landing on his rotting hands.

Nora wasn't there. Nobody would care if he were to die right now. His siblings barely remembered his existence when they didn't need anything from him.

And the stake was here. Just here in his hand. Not so different from the white oak stake he had hidden back in their homeland before burning down the tree. Would a temporary death suffice to please his fake loved ones?

Rebekah's long, slender fingers suddenly closed around the stake and pulled it out of his grasp.

"No stake allowed in this house. It tempts Nik to kill himself even on his good days," she said with a sad and tired look in her eyes.

Kol blinked. Ah... He had almost lost it. The curse was getting stronger as the years went by, something in the back of his mind wishing for death more than anything. For a break during which he wouldn't have to think or feel anything.

"Right." He paused before continuing, "poor Nik. Makes me almost want to pity him."

"Don't," Rebekah snorted. "Don't you know? Lying to your lovely sister is bad form. Even from you."

He reached out and tapped her forehead with the tips of his fingers before pinching her cheek. For once, Rebekah let him do as he pleased, only grumbling some unintelligible words.

"Lovely sister?" he chuckled in spite of his complete lack of happiness. "Please, the only lovely thing in this bloody house is myself."

"Sure Kol, keep lying to yourself," Rebekah retorted once he released her, one of her hand immediately going up to her face to rub her cheek. She then glanced at the window and fell silent for a few minutes, only to speak again when a loud sigh passed through his lips. "Don't worry too much your pretty head Kol. I'm sure everything will work out in the end. We'll figure something out. We always do."

He swallowed the lump in his throat and looked at his sister with mixed feelings. "You know?"

She lifted a brow, looking like the very definition of the word curiosity. "Know what?"

He shook his head and gave her a thin, mirthless smile. "Nothing."

"Alright then", she said dubiously, standing up from her seat. "I'm going to find some people for lunch. Can you stay with Elijah to look after Nik?"

Just as she said this, angry shouts reverberated through the house and Kol couldn't help but smirk. "Looks like Niklaus' good days are over."

Rebekah rubbed the middle of her brows helplessly as new shouts could be heard. That, and the very distinct sounds of wood snapping and water splashing all over the floor. "Oh bloody hell, don't tell me he's back to his drowning phase. Elijah should just let him do it. At least it's a clean death."

"Far better than his decapitation phase," Kol nodded, his lips hooked into a sly smile. "On the other hand, his first gut phase was quite interesting. Who knew intestines could grow back so quickly?"