Chapter 52

Damon Salvatore was already in a foul mood to begin with and Nora's sly insinuation didn't help. However, he seemed to be aware of his surroundings and somehow managed to hold back his anger. His back stiff and his jaw clenched, he glared at Kol and Nora and grabbed harshly Elena's wrist.

"Come with me," the dark-haired Salvatore vampire snapped at the doppelganger, then proceeded to drag her away like a rag doll.

As they walked away, Kol's eyes swept over the two figures and noticed a faint, still healing cut on the doppelganger's free hand. The light in his gaze flickered and he hummed softly under his breath.

Stefan, whose fangs had retracted when his older brother appeared, knitted his brows together for a short moment before a blank expression washed over his face. He gave them a sharp nod before following his brother and Elena.

"I don't think our adoptive granddaughter likes us, honey. Same for our grandsons-in-law."

Kol wrapped his arms around his wife's waist and let out a low chuckle, his breath brushing against Nora's ear. "To be fair, darling, I don't know whether they are our former sons-in-law or current grandsons-in-law."

Nora rested her forehead against his shoulder and filled her lungs with his scent. It was just a small action but it still brought a soft smile to his face. He tightened his grip on her.

"What a messed up family tree," she sighed. "Let's just forget they exist, then. It's not a big loss."

He ran one hand through her hair and whispered, "Tired?"

"Hmm... A little. We just came back and your mother doesn't even give us a break before she starts scheming."

Although she didn't say their names, Kol knew the presence of Niklaus and Elijah in the room didn't help. And if he were to be honest with himself, he felt the same. Every once in a while, he would find himself looking over his shoulder to make sure none of his siblings was trying to kill them.

He put a finger under her chin and lifted her head. "Tomorrow is a full moon. If Esther is planning something against us, it will be on tomorrow night. Let's kill her and then leave with Finn, alright?"

Nora nodded and tucked her hair behind her ear.

"Don't forget you still owe me an island," she said with a smile.

"Don't worry, I remember it." He paused, then added in a slightly hoarse voice, "I remember every promise I made to you."

And how strange this was. They had been alive for centuries now and many memories were now encased in a thick fog. Yet, every promise he made to her seemed to be carved onto his heart, forever impossible to be forgotten.

He swallowed her answer with his lips, prying her mouth open and sucking on her tongue, enjoying the feelings coursing through his body. When her hands gripped the jacket of his tuxedo, he broke the kiss, took in a short breath, and pecked her lips one last time.

They were in an isolated part of the ballroom and nobody was looking in their direction. Yet the timing was wrong. Surrounded by enemies, including one crazy witch, being distracted was akin to courting death.

A knowing glint shone in Nora's eyes and she obediently took a step back, a yawn escaping her at the same time.

"Look at you, darling, yawning after a kiss," he teased her. "Do you really want me to take you to bed now?"

She stuck out her tongue at him and retorted, "Not my fault if you are more effective than a lullaby, Kol."

"Right, right, it's my bad," he said with a grin and took her hand to lead her towards the balcony to get some fresh air.