Chapter 1

10th century

Kol lifted the fork over his head and flexed his arms. An exhalation, and the tool went back in front of him. It struck the soil under his feet. The sharp metal teeth sank in the ground, leaving several deep gashes. He started once again. And again. And again. The veins on his arms were bulging and sweat was running down his spine.

It was a mechanical movement. It had become automatic over the years. While his arms were working, his mind were wandering. The world around him disappeared. Rebekah and the berries she was gathering for the evening meal became a blurred color spot. Same with Henrik who was helping their sister and Finn who were feeding the cattle.

A sudden move on his right drew his attention and, as the fork touched the soil, Kol turned his head. Leaving the forest, Elijah and Nik were carrying two deer, one on Elijah's shoulder and one on Nik's. The latter whose morphology was slightly thinner than his other brothers, had his back stooped because of his load. Even from where he was, Kol could hear him pant with effort.

Seeing their brothers, Rebekah got back on her feet and let her basket fall on the ground. A few berries slipped from it but she paid no attention and, instead, ran toward them. Her passage disturbed the soil Kol had been working on and he could only watch with annoyance the long gashes disappear. Henrik, who had also risen to his feet, smiled sheepishly before he ran behind Rebekah.

Kol watched his brothers and sister from a distance without taking a break. His arms were aching, begging him to stop and join them, but he had no desire to finish his chore later and lose time to practice magic.

"Nik! Let me see!" Henrik pleaded, bouncing next to Nik. The boy of eleven winters seemed to be ready to hang at their brother's neck and his eyes were sparkling.

Rebekah pulled on the other arm and Nik grimaced slightly when the carcass on his shoulder slipped a bit.

"Can't you two wait to be home for that?" he asked.

Their two younger siblings both grinned and answered at the same time, "No!"

Elijah snickered. It didn't last long though and he quickly stood up straight while looking at something behind Kol. For a short moment, Kol thought their father was back from his last raid and was there. Then he realized Nik had straightened up too, his face relaxed. Smiling, even. If it was their father, he would have been slightly behind Elijah.

Kol rolled his eyes. There was only one person who could engender such a reaction in his brothers. The funny face Rebekad was trying to hide with her hand only confirmed his assumption: The beautiful widow and mother of a son, Tatia.

"Elijah," the woman called out.

Kol heard footsteps and smiled pleasantly at her when she came by his side. Contrary to his sister, Tatia made sure to not ruin his work, being careful on where she stepped and carrying her son. The little boy was looking around him with eyes agog. A bit like Henrik when he was his age. Or still now, actually.

Tatia continued to walk, greeting each of them, including Finn who only answered with a short nod. Not that Tatia minded. Finn hadn't been the same since the death of his wife. A miscarriage, two months earlier. Their father was thinking on bringing him on some raids to raise his spirits. Which meant, sacking villages and having his way with helpless women.

Kol's lips curled in a sneer. He put his fork down and leant on it. He truly hoped Finn would pull himself together quickly before his father transformed him into the perfect bloodthirsty Viking. Gods knew it, their mother would never try to stop Mikael. Which Kol could not for the life of him understand. How could someone practice magic, devote themselves to Nature, and still support the bloody murders committed by the so-called love of their life?