Chapter 43

Warning: this chapter contains some parts from the transcripts of The Original, Season 2 Episode 9, 'The map of moments'.

Dowager Fauline's large house stood in front of him, its high walls casting long, gloomy shadows that appeared especially threatening in the quietness of the night. Had Kol been a simple human, he would have never dared to get close to such a place in the middle of the night.

Unfortunately – for the soon-to-be-stolen paragon diamond – Kol was an original vampire who would never fear a house. Especially an empty house as the Dowager Fauline foolishly chose to live alone in a city where danger lurked around every corner. But then again, her husband died a few months ago so she might not even have a choice in the matter.

The barrier that stopped him from entering the house disappeared suddenly. The old bat was dead.

With a smirk, Kol took off his gloves and stepped inside, Mary-Alice and Astrid following him silently with their eyes narrowed and filled with a deep sense of wariness.

There were many rooms inside the house. Unlike the outside, they all appeared small because of the dark colors used on the furniture and the wallpaper. A strong smell of dust came from the carpet on the floor and the wood furniture took up a lot of space. Seeing this, Kol couldn't help scrunching up his nose in disgust. Who could have guessed that a woman famous for her collection of jewelry actually possessed such poor taste in decoration? Did she think her house was some dusty and very poor museum?

"Alright, let's hurry and leave this place as soon as possible."

They split up, Astrid heading upstairs and Mary-Alice going into another room.

Kol chose a shelf at random and started rummaging through the too many objects in front of him. Some baubles did look pretty expensive but none of them were the paragon diamond. Also, he was wrong before. The dust didn't only come from the carpet.

Lifting an ugly vase that oddly looked like a chamber pot, he removed the fake flowers to examine the inside and almost threw up in his mouth. Hidden in the vase was a photo. An absolutely horrible photo - his blond brother lying on a bed with a most likely younger and very naked Dowager Fauline.

At least he understood better why the old bat never wavered and remained on Niklaus' side. His brother sure knew how to keep people on his side.

And to think the only 'racy' photo he took with Nora was with him kissing her cheek - with all their clothes on. Not that he was unhappy with it since taking a photo required a photographer. And the one who took Niklaus' photo must have wished he was blind.

The second shelf was filled with porcelain dolls whose big bulging eyes seemed to stare into the empty air. With their pasty skin and their glassy eyes, he almost expected to see maggots wriggling out of their parted mouths.

"My apologies for the trouble," Kol snickered before searching through them, not even blinking when one of those little horrors fell from the shelf and smashed when it hit the floor.

Still, there was nothing here.

He opened several drawers and cupboards and filled his pockets with necklaces and bracelets for Nora. That old bad might have been completely crazy to follow Niklaus, she still had good taste in jewelry. Kol could easily picture his naked wife with only a ruby necklace around her neck, the pendant falling just between her breasts.

It would make a good gift for their wedding anniversary.

Eventually, his search took him to the bar, and there he found the famous paragon diamond. He almost missed it as he never expected someone would actually use the priceless gemstone as a bottle stopper for a bottle of 1869 Chateau Lafite Rothschild.