Chapter 25

"Welcome to our humble abode. Please come in," Alexander said with a peaceful smile when they reached the house. "It's smaller than your villa but Rebekah told me it is still comfortable. Please, don't despise my family."

While Alexander wasn't wrong and the house was indeed smaller, it was still obvious to Kol that the family living inside these walls were wealthy enough. For men whose older sister worked herself to the bone and died to feed them, it was rather suspicious. This wasn't the future Nora sometimes spoke of. Here, the poor stayed poor. They might even lose their freedom and be sold by their family as slave.

Was killing vampire so lucrative?

As they walked through the front door, a familiar fragrance entered his nostrils and he froze for a second before asking innocently, "Speaking of Rebekah, is she here? I have yet to catch a glimpse of her today."

Her scent was strong yet he couldn't hear her.

Alexander wasn't the one answering him. Instead, three men came to meet them and one of them, tall with long and wavy light-brown hair, said chuckling, "You have just missed her actually. She spent the whole day here, talking about their future house. Who knew a human could speak so much!" He then greeted Elijah, Niklaus and Finn before turning to Kol. "Kol, I presume? Rebekah told us a lot about you."

"All good, I hope," Kol grinned even though a stone seemed to have dropped inside his stomach, the baby hair on his neck bristling.

But Elijah, Nik and Finn didn't appear worried. On the contrary, they greeted the man back as if he was a friend. Mathias - the man's name - was one of Alexander's two older brothers. His future brother-in-law so. He was a huge, stout man with a warm smile.

According to Finn, his smile would swiftly became bloodthirsty when it came to execute vampires in the public square. Kol didn't have any difficulty imagining that. Monsters could disguise themselves as the most inoffensive looking people. He knew that all too well.

"All good, no need to worry," the second man laughed, reaching out to Kol and introducing himself cheekily, "Marvin, the youngest of the family. And the most charming obviously."

"Though she did tell us about your adventurous temperament and your inability to stay in one place for more than a month." This time, it was the third and last man who talked. Of the three brothers present, he was the one who looked the most like Alexander. "The name is Alecto, the twin brother of Alexander."

"Younger brother," Alexander chimed in, to which Alecto rolled his eyes.

"How many times do I have to tell you? No one but you 'remember' who was born first."

"Seeing as I'm the first to marry, it's clear I am also the older brother."

Mathias sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose with a defeated expression. "What kind of logic is it? Sometimes, I'm really ashamed to be your brother."

Marvin winked at Kol and his siblings before nodding solemnly. "Especially if you really remember your birth, Alexander." He shivered. "How scary."

Looking at them, they looked like a normal family. One with better relationships than Kol and his own siblings. No one would guess they were vampire hunters, burning vampires alive with no mercy.

"Ernesto isn't here?" Elijah eventually asked, reminding the Alexander and his twin of their presence. Seeing as Alexander knew of Rebekah's undead condition, Kol was rather impressed by them. After all, if Rebekah was a vampire, surely her fiancé could guess they all were and told his brothers. And here they were, acting as if nothing was wrong even though they had invited them into their home.