Chapter 22

"KOL!" Rebekah screeched as she ran into his arms, a wide smile shining on her beautiful face. Wrapping his arms around her, Kol hugged her and twirled her around in the air, both of them laughing.

Finn and he had just reached his siblings' house. It was a beautiful red brick villa. With the golden sun shining on it, the villa almost looked orange, giving to the passers-by a feeling of warmth. Although it was located in town, it was far from the modest dwellings and the few villas around only belonged to rich families.

It didn't surprise Kol. The Mikaelson family had never been one to settle for nothing less than the best.

"It's been too long brother!" Rebekah exclaimed happily once she was back on her own two feet. " I really missed you and there is so much I have to tell you."

"I imagine so," Kol said with a lopsided smile, "though there was nothing stopping you from coming to see me." And it was true, as Nora had never really said anything against his little sister.

"And let Nik and Elijah alone?" she giggled innocently, her blue eyes sparkling. "You know I cannot do that. Always and forever, remember?"

"Right." As if he could forget that. "And your betrothed is aware that he is also marrying these two?" That would be one weird household, to be honest.

"Idiot," Rebekah said instead of answering, still giggling. "Alexander is a good friend of our family. Actually, you will meet him this evening."

Bloody hell. It wasn't enough that his little sister was going to marry a vampire hunter with the approval of Elijah and Niklaus. No, their brothers were actually friends with the hunter? Had his family lost pieces of their brains since his last visit?

Glancing at Finn, he met his embarrassed and resigned gaze. Alright, maybe not his entire family.

"So, let me get this straight dear sister of mine, I just learned today that you are engaged to a man I have never met or even heard of... And you still want to introduce me to your betrothed today? Are you not scared that I will kill him?"

Rebekah didn't seem to be shaken by his words. Instead she merely shrugged and said in a deadpan voice, "As if I would let you hurt the man I love. Besides, I know you. You would never hurt me." Words like that were the reason why Rebekah was still his favorite of the family. While she hated how he could act, she still trust him.

Grabbing his hand, she pulled him towards the entrance door. "Now, come with me. Elijah and Nik are waiting for you inside. They have been looking forward to seeing you again."

"I'm sure they have been... But perhaps you could explain me why they couldn't welcome me before the house?" If he spoke a bit harsher than usual, no one said anything.

"They are overseeing the banquet preparation," Rebekah explained. "During the dinner, Alexander will not only meet you but also speak about the marriage with Elijah and Niklaus. Everything must be perfect. I have told him so much about you, he is quite excited to meet you."

He felt a pang of hurt when he realized he wouldn't even have a word regarding his sister's wedding. Elijah and Nik would be the one overseeing everything while he, like always, would stay in the background. Whether or not he was there didn't actually matter.

"Me too," he managed to say with a forced smile, Finn casting him a knowing glance as he did so. After all, Kol wasn't the only one in the background.

Fortunately, Rebekah didn't notice anything, too busy with her rambling. She met Alexander in the market place and it was love at first sight for the man. She told Kol that when her betrothed first saw her, he compared her beauty with the sun. Of course, she was charmed. Such sweet-talking made it hard to remain unfazed. Still, she didn't take it very seriously.