Chapter 59

Warning: Slightly disturbing content involving dismemberment.

***

Niklaus looked grumpy when he parked the car in front of the house slamming the poor metal door closed, the creak that echoed afterward sounding especially loud in the quietness of the night. Elijah and Rebekah quickly left their own seats to follow, the moonlight casting shadows over their features. Curiously, Finn was with them even though he maintained a distance between his siblings and himself. His brow was furrowed in what appeared to be concern as they all made their way to the front door. The scene could have - almost - looked heartwarming like long-lost family members finally coming home after months or even years away... if it wasn't for the two legs burning right below the steps leading up to the door, wooden sticks with marshmallows at the end sticking out from the slowly darkening flesh.

The sweet scent of candy mixed poorly with the pungent smell of burning flesh and Kol's guts had yet to stop twisting ever since the stench invaded his nose. Yet, the view was good for his mood. Almost as good as the sight of Esther crawling desperately on the floor, the wounds on her knees having been carefully seared with Nora's fire to make sure the former witch's legs never grew back.

"Brothers! Sister! It is so good to see you all alive and undaggered," Kol exclaimed gleefully in front of the door, his lips parted in a wide grin that showed his two rows of white teeth. "I would invite you lot inside the house but the owner is very much human and not keen on receiving unpleasant company like yours. So, sorry."

Laying a warm hand on his arm, Nora stood next to him with an expression matching his. She pointed at the fire in front of them and quipped, "I hope you all like bonfire night. It was such a pain to prepare this. It would be a shame not to have you enjoy the free marshmallows. They are all crispy on the outside yet tender on the inside. A bit like your mother, actually. Tough love, you know."

Niklaus' expression shifted into a scowl at the sight of Nora, no doubt remembering the humiliation he suffered at her hands the night before. The original hybrid turned away, glanced down at the pair of legs burning, and scoffed. Nora's smile instantly fell down a bit and she complained to Kol in a coquettish tone, "Oh, honey, we forgot to bring a bone for the dog." She cast a sidelong glance at Niklaus and bit her lips in hesitation. "Should I go get one? There are still the thighs and arms left...."

Nikaus stiffened and the scowl was swiftly replaced by an expression of disgust - the two other members of the always and forever trio didn't look any better, Rebekah especially seemed to have swallowed a toad and was turning green.

Finn took a step forward and surprised Kol by looking right into his eyes seemingly unaffected by the smell or the sight. "Where is Sage? Niklaus told me she's here."

If someone dared to stand between Kol and Nora, he would never hesitate to kill them. Nevertheless, even knowing that wasn't enough for Kol to directly answer his brother's question. Instead, hoping to get a reaction out of Finn, he mocked him in a light tone, well aware that Sage was listening to their conversation and would try to beat Kol up later. "So now you want to listen to what I say? I clearly remember you ignoring us at the ball when we wanted to tell you about your wife. Admittedly, your marriage with Sage has no legal effect in today's society but I sure hoped it still meant something to you."

"Kol... I thought she was dead. Mother told me Nikaus killed her."

"So you partnered with Esther to kill us all? And kill your own wife at the same time by ending yourself!" Kol's anger surged up and made him red. In an instant, he found himself in front of his brother, grabbing his collar. "Do you really think I would let Nik kill your wife?! My own sister-in-law?!"