Chapter 58

The full moon was already past its apex and the scent of blood filled the room when Kol regained consciousness. He slowly rose to his feet and groaned, his body loudly protesting against the movement. His throat was throbbing with a dull ache and his chest felt heavy and uncomfortable as if stuck under a rock. Or a whole mountain.

He turned his head towards Nora's fluttering heart and caught sight of her body lying on the couch, her heart slowly mending itself. His lovely sister-in-law let him lie on the floor while his wife got the whole couch for herself. He wasn't sure whether to feel offended or grateful.

A moan suddenly escaped Nora's parted lips and he vamp-sped to her. Crouching down beside her, he reached out for her face and smoothed her furrowed brow.

"How is she?" Sage asked behind him, the sound of her hands rubbing against the front of her pants grating on him.

"Alive," he responded flatly without looking away from his unconscious wife. As his worry slowly ebbed away, anger made its way through him. "What the bloody hell happened?"

Asking the question, he finally turned away and his gaze landed on the broken body of Esther next to the standing Sage. All the other vampires had been sent away and only the four Mikaelsons remained in the room. He lifted his eyebrows in surprise. Esther was still alive since Sage didn't stake her but he doubted there was a single bone in her body that hadn't been broken. Due to the lack of blood and the vervain rope still tied around her like a pig, her healing was slow and the result was quite disgusting to look at. Her arms and legs were bent at impossible angles.

"She didn't want to explain my questions," Sage explained carelessly, even though Kol didn't miss the way her jaw clenched. The anger in her eyes was all too familiar and reflected his. "She did, eventually."

"And?"

He already had a good guess of what happened. One of his siblings got daggered. Since they were bound all together and Nora through him, he and Nora also lost fell unconscious. And considering the pain racking his chest, his siblings were still daggered. He only avoided the full nap because his bond with Nora overpowered the one created by Esther and the dagger couldn't stop Nora.

Sage echoed his thoughts. "The great and crazy ex-bitchy witch can't be sure but she guessed someone daggered one of your siblings."

It didn't matter that he knew he had been right. It still caused his anger to grow stronger. Someone was going to die.

"Did you send someone to confirm?" He let out a breath and went to sit on the couch, placing Nora's head on his knees just as her eyes slowly opened. She met his gaze, confused for a short while, and then sighed out in relief.

"Yes and guess what? Your mother's spell isn't as great as she thought. Klaus is still awake even if weaker and a bit grey." She threw them a phone and Kol caught it mid-air. There was a picture of his ashen-faced brother pushing away a clearly worried Caroline.

"I called him five minutes ago," Sage revealed angrily. "According to him and the pretty blonde, Finn decided to work with Damon Salvatore to find Esther and then kill you all. When Finn received your message with Esther looking like a wreck, Damon decided that Esther was useless and took matters into his own hands."

"He daggered Finn?!" Nora all but growled in a hoarse and furious voice. "Who the hell does that stupid child thinks he is?"

"Yes, he daggered Finn. More exactly, his vampire hunter did." Dark veins started to spread underneath Sage's eyes and she had to take a moment to regain her composure. "Blondie found Klaus and told him the story. They are going there. Good thing Klaus feels weak because of the binding spell or I'm sure Finn would spend another thousand years in a coffin."