Chapter 48

Kol and Nora lounged in her single bed watching the first two Harry Potter movies and eating potato chips and vanilla ice cream all night. The atmosphere in the room was warm and cozy as they lay in each other's arms, both avoiding troublesome topics such as the infamous Mikaelson siblings. Every once in a while, Nora would look up at Kol with a small and loving smile and Kol would press his lips against her forehead.

The next morning, he was startled awake by the piercing high-pitched ringing of Rebekah's phone. Grabbing the phone clumsily, Kol suddenly understood how a mouse felt in front of a cat. What the hell was he supposed to do with the phone? There were far too many keys on that thing. Which one was he supposed to press?

He looked down at Nora and met her half-open bleary eyes.

"Help me?" he said in a half pleading and half apologizing tone, holding the phone out to her.

A groan escaped her as she rolled over to lay her head on his chest. Reaching for the phone, she pressed a key and put it to her ear.

"Who is it?" she grumbled in a hoarse voice, and Kol reached out his arm to grab the bottle of water on the night table.

"It's me," a soft, feminine voice that clearly belonged to Rebekah answered.

"... It's too early for your bullshit."

With that said, Nora took the bottle and handed him the phone. Awkwardly imitating his wife's previous action, he put the phone to his ear.

"Rebekah, what can I do for you?" he asked with a drawl, already wanting the conversation to end.

"How is Nora?"

"She was sleeping quite well in my arms for the first time in almost a century when you woke us up," he responded dryly, earning himself a giggle from Nora who buried her head in his chest. Even with her face hidden, he could feel her smiling.

The phone in one hand, he ran the other hand through her long hair.

"I see..." Rebekah's voice rang in his ear. "My apologies, then. I was calling about Mother's ball. It starts tonight at seven o'clock, in Niklaus' mansion - the one we woke up in. Please, be there."

"Hmmm... And where exactly is that Mystic Falls town?"

"In Virginia. It's... our homeland. Where are you? I could send someone to get you."

Kol barely held back a snort upon hearing this. As if he would ever let one of his siblings know about this place and endanger the lives of Nora's parents. He cast a look at his wife to see her reaction but Nora didn't seem worried about his answer, her hands touching the hard muscles of his stomach through his shirt.

His lips twitched at seeing his darling choosing this moment to cop a feel.

"Kol?"

"Yes, I'm still here." Unfortunately. "No need to send someone. I will be there."

"What about the clothes? It's a ball, and Mother would be most displeased if you show up dressed like some country bumpkin. Should I prepare something for you?"

He furrowed his brow in annoyance and his hold on the phone tightened, almost breaking it. A pinch at his waist had him loosen his grip.

"Look Rebekah, I don't want your help. Last time I did, I got a dagger in my heart. Go butter up someone else. Like Finn. Remember him? You should. If I recall, you had a lot of fun walking around with his coffin three hundred years ago."

Once he was done speaking, he didn't wait for an answer and hung up, glaring at the phone.

"And what has the phone done to you?" Nora asked at the same time her hands slid under his shirt.