Chapter 50

When Niklaus found them, Kol and Nora were dancing in the middle of the ballroom. It was a slow dance, with her hands around his neck and their chests pressed together as they moved around, avoiding bumping the other people. Kol was whispering in her ear all the gossip he heard from the guests in the room.

His senses had been focused on their surroundings ever since they entered the mansion so Kol was aware of someone approaching them long before Niklaus' hand landed on his shoulder, interrupting Kol and Nora's dance.

The amazing thing was that, as soon as Niklaus appeared, all the people around them took a step back, creating a large circle around the three of them.

"I heard congratulations are in order," his brother said with an expression on his face that was neither smiling nor frowning.

Kol wrapped an arm around Nora's waist and gave the original hybrid a faint smile, "The same could be said for you, Nik. After all, it isn't every day that someone breaks a thousand years old curse. Tell me, brother, how does it feel to change into a rabid dog?"

The very little trace of politeness on Niklaus' face was immediately wiped off. Before he could say anything, though, Nora scoffed loudly, "Please Kol, as if this is what matters. The most important question is what kind of dog he is. A poodle? A chihuahua? Or perhaps a Jack Russel?"

"Or a bulldog?"

She tilted her head and peered at Niklaus with a smirk. "Well, he does look the part."

Of course, their playful chitchat was not to the liking of the original hybrid.

"Careful there," Niklaus hissed angrily, "I wouldn't mind ripping off that thin neck of yours, Nora."

Kol's smile widened even as his grip on his wife tightened.

"Amazing. Brother, how come I never knew we share a telepathic bond? You see, I was thinking exactly the same about you. We both know your head separated from your body looks rather good nailed on a wall."

"Kol, continue like that and I'll start questioning your taste. Who would want such a disgusting thing on their wall?" Nora laughed before turning to Nik, "Don't worry, brother-in-law. Your mother isn't the only one capable of making someone immortal. Just like yours, my neck is the kind that grows back well."

"Can't say the same for your brain though, brother," Kol sighed, looking at Nikaus with an expression that was a curious mix of pity and ridicule. "From what I heard, you are now fighting with teenagers. I fear that we will soon find you pulling the pigtails of little girls in a sandbox."

"And then you will be stealing dummies. Kol, should we start stocking up on diapers for your brother?"

A low growl sounded from Niklaus' chest as he stepped forward. The threat was apparent and his gaze darkened. "Elijah told me we supposedly already killed you a few times, sweetheart. Do we need a repeat? And perhaps your dear Kol would like to take a nap in his coffin?"

Both Kol and Nora instantly lost their smiles upon hearing that, a thick layer of ice covering their eyes. Nora pushed Kol's arm aside and moved to stand in front of him, stepping in between the two brothers.

"I always wondered... Back then, in New Orleans, you sent a bunch of morons after me. Did Rebekah show you the guy I left alive? Knowing her, I bet she didn't."

With that said, she leaned in and jabbed Niklaus' shoulder with her finger. Since he didn't expect any threat from her, he didn't try to defend himself, looking down at her in contempt. However, his expression was soon forced to change and a hiss of pain came out of his mouth when Nora's finger left a small hole in his clothes and a burn the size of a fingertip on his shoulder.