Chapter 23

Rebekah's beloved vampire hunter, Alexander, had shoulder-length dark brown hair and his hazel eyes could often be found gazing fondly at Rebekah. He appeared to be a gentle man who adored the only woman of the Mikaleson siblings at first glance. Speaking with him was easy and Kol found himself cracking a smile every now and then.

Yet Kol couldn't help staring at the man during the whole evening, thinking that something was wrong with the picture. Could it be some magical instinct against a vampire hunter? Or was it the knowledge that his sister would soon be mortal again and their time together was running out?

"Worried?" Nik suddenly asked, coming to his side to observe Rebekah and Alexander's silhouettes at the entrance of the villa.

The lovebirds were whispering some last sweet words before parting for the night. Because of the light of the torches, their elongated shadows appeared to be locked in an embrace. Looking at them, Kol could almost imagine them with grey hair and wrinkles at the corners of their eyes and grandchildren playing around them. It was a bittersweet feeling and he couldn't find it in himself to be happy for his sister. Because it was wrong and he didn't know why.

"Not you?" he asked his brother instead of answering his question.

Nik shrugged, "Not anymore. Alexander is a good man and they truly loved each other. Rebekah will be happy with him."

"Yes, she will." If nothing went wrong. Rebekah will be happy, even if only for a few decades. He would fight for her dreams, eve if it meant losing her. As long as she was happy, then it was fine. Even if he wasn't. "Don't you fear he'll hurt her once he discovers what she is? Or what if he refuses to become a vampire?"

"I already told you, I'm not worried anymore." Nik smiled softly. "Look at how he stares at our little sister. One would think she is the sun itself."

Alexander kissed their sister's forehead. A chaste kiss accompanied by a soft caress of her face. it truly was a beautiful sight.

"I just feel something is wrong," Kol admitted with a sigh, despair coming from the deepest part of his mind screaming at him to kill Alexander immediately, no matter how his siblings would hate him afterwards.

"Of course it is," Nik chuckled, ruffling Kol's hair as if he was still a child, "our sister is going to marry. It's good of you to feel that way. I would be worried if you didn't."

Facing Nik, Kol gave up trying to voice his fear and shook his head. "I guess you are right."

Obviously, he was the only one feeling that way. Casting one last glance at the couple before the villa, he said, "It's late, I'll leave now. Finn must have already gone home."

"I hope you know you can stay," Nik offered, "It is your home too. Besides, I assure you the company here is better than Finn and Sage's. With our brother's lamentations and the vulgar behavior of that lover of him, it's better to stay here."

"Thanks Nik but I'm pretty sure Rebekah won't be the only one marrying. Sage is our future sister-in-law, I should get to know her better."

He hadn't made five steps before Nik called him.

"About before Kol, I'm sorry," he apologized with a sheepish smile, "I should have gone to welcome you. I never meant to hurt you."

Nik's words startled him and Kol couldn't help smiling, a warm feeling surging inside him. "I'm fine Nik, no need to worry. It takes more than that to hurt me."

The warm feeling remained with him during the entirety of the travel back to Sófi's house. Truth was, Nik often hurt him with his words and actions. Ever since the night their mother bound his wolf with their father and Elijah's help and caused the death of Tatia, something had changed in his brother. Or to be more accurate, Something had broken Inside him. He was not the soft brother of the past, but one who never seemed to realize how deep his words could cut into Kol. And now, more than one century later, Nik apologized to him.