Chapter 5

The barrier was still there, the magic pulsing strongly against the tips of Kol's fingers. It welcomed him, filled him with warmth, and nerves Kol hadn't known he had suddenly relaxed. A grin chased across his lips, pride and relief surging inside him. It left him exhilarated, making it difficult to hold back his laughter as he pressed his palms against the barrier.

He did it! It had withstood the beasts! Oh, the possibilities it gave him for the future. A future in which his family wouldn't have to hide in the caves to be protected from the beasts. A future in which he would be able to protect his siblings from their father. Such a glorious prospect at his fingertips. Of course, he would need to train before such a thing could happen, but he could now see a bright future.

Tatia fought back against a bush to retrieve the part of her long dress it had caught, the action nearly sending her to the ground. She then moved a branch aside, lowered her head to avoid a bigger one and came to his side. She glanced around, her doe brown eyes fluttering around, left to right and back again. It was obvious she was puzzled as her eyes were squinting to see whatever it was he was looking at.

"So," she stated after a few seconds, slightly piqued, "you brought me here to see... nothing?"

Kol clicked his tongue, lifted his chin and looked down on her condescendingly, even though his grin had yet to disappear from his face. "So much faith," he teased her.

"There isn't much to have faith in right now," Tatia said dryly as she frowned at him, tears filling her eyes once again.

His grin faltered but didn't disappear. Though it sounded harsh, even to his ears, nothing could be done for Leif. The sweet child was already on his way to their People's homeland, far across the ocean. The journey wasn't without difficulty and took several months. All Tatia could do now was pray for Leif's safety.

He would, too, pray Nature for the child's safe journey. Maybe even ask Nora if she knew some spell to insure his survival.

"And yet, no matter how dark the night is, the sun never fails to rise in the morning. Here's one thing you can put your faith in."

"In the sun raising?" she asked dubiously.

"No," he chuckled, "in a new day. A new tomorrow."

"Tell that to the ghosts of the dead," Tatia countered, a nerve in her cheek twitching.

"Ah but that's the thing my Lady. There's always a new tomorrow. Whether you are there to see it or not, that's another question." He held out a hand to her, "now, take my hand and don't let go."

She stared at the outstretched hand, indecisive and well aware that his comportment was quite questionable. He had already broken several unwritten rules on propriety since his awakening. Although it had stemmed from good intentions, taking the woman in his arms to comfort her had been far from proper. And here he was, asking her to take his hand and trust him. Still, she took the offered limb, albeit hesitantly.

With his free hand, he pushed against the barrier, his magic crashing against it. It rippled. His blood sang with power, his whole being tingled. Seconds passed and he hummed when he felt the barrier allowing him - them - to cross it. His face split into a wide smile and his eyes twinkling, he tugged at Tatia and passed through the barrier.

Tatia gasped. The empty space that had been before them was now a true camp, with a hut and day-to-day objects lying on the ground, barely protected from the elements. It was a good thing the weather, though colder, had been rather clement regarding the rain for the last month. The fire was out, a cold smoke still coming out from the ashes. Curled up on the ground with her body facing the fire, Nora was sleeping soundly despite the cold. The animal hide she was wrapped up in didn't seem to do a good job at protecting her from it though. Even from where he stood, Kol could see her shiver.