Chapter 28

1152, Kingdom of England

Four days after the death of Kamil at Kol's hands, the original vampire was lying in a meadow, arms crossed behind his head to act as a cushion while he was watching the sky. Although the weather was colder now, it didn't stop the sun from trying to pierce through the grey clouds in order to warm the ground.

The day before, Nora had appeared somewhere in this small kingdom but for once he decided to wait for her to reach him. Not that he didn't want to see her quickly but for the first time in thirty eight years, Kol felt alive and in peace.

Henrik was still there but it was easy to ignore the lure when Kol coul feel Nora's soul wrapped around him, filling the hole her last death had left for more than three decades. No matter the distance between them, her heart was beating alongside his.

When the sound of footsteps cut through the silence, his whole face split into a wide, open smile. And just like that, Nora's beautiful face appeared above him, her lips curved upward and her eyes twinkling in happiness.

She stood above him, her head tilted to the side and her arms crossed behind her back.

"You're a sight for sore eyes, love," Kol greeted her warmly before adding in a teasing voice, "Weaker men would throw themselves at your feet should they see you right now."

She bent her upper body slightly, bringing a hand down to catch hold of a loose strand of his dark hair before she took it up to her lips. "Not you, then?"

"Oh darling, I'm already at your feet," he replied wittily before grabbing her hand to pull her down into his embrace. Just like that, she fell on him, his arms immediately wrapping around her waist as she buried her face against his neck. The feeling of her breath against his skin sent tremors across his skin.

He took a deep breath, her scent filling his nostrils. This feeling... This scent... This was home. At long last he was home.

Here, in her arms, there was no need to ponder about what was real and what was not.

"I missed you darling," he sighed in her hair, his voice hoarse and shaking. "I missed you so much."

She pulled back and peered at his face worriedly. "How long Kol?" she asked softly with a frown marring her forehead. "How many years have passed since you last saw me?"

He swallowed a mouthful of saliva as he briefly glanced away, his eyes darkening at the memory of what happened back then. "Thirty-eight years," he eventually said in a low voice, "you..."

"I what honey?" Nora insisted, hooking her fingers under his chin. Once she was sure he wouldn't move, she caressed his jaw tenderly. She was worried, he knew that, and was probably still trying to find what the current year was. After all, she had made her way to him too quickly for her to have stopped somewhere to get the information she needed. Even the clothes she wore should be stolen as they barely fitted her. Looking at her red face and the sweat on her brow and hairline, she must have been running towards him ever since she appeared in this country.

Not one to be bothered by the sweat and the dirt on her skin, he cradled her face with his hands and pulled her down, pressing a kiss on her forehead before murmuring wistfully, "You die and I wasn't there."

There. The flash in her eyes. No surprise, just sorrow. She leaned in and touched his skin with her lips beore intertwining their hands together and giving him a slight squeeze.

"You still have the same haircut," she wondered aloud. "1114 then," she continued with a small smile, "I guess I'm finally getting the hang of it. I just come from there actually."