00. prologue

JUNE

JUNE

"Come on, Seri-ah! One more point and you win," Seri's coach called.

It was a hot, humid day at Seoul Central High School. It was also the summer tennis high school nationals game, and Hwang Seri was playing against Seoul Performing Arts High School's star player, Lee Minji. They had won one set each and were playing a final match to see who will be crowned the national champion. The current score was 40 - 30; Seri had the advantage.

"One more point. One more point," she replayed in her head. There was no way she could lose the nationals game. After all, she was the daughter of a champion tennis player, Hwang Hyun woo.

Her exhausted body threw the neon yellow ball in the air and smacked the ball into the box diagonal from her. As the girls continued to rally, Seri began to hit harder so she could win. That was until Minji hit the ball short.

"Damn it," Seri huffed as she ran up to the net.

Luckily, she made it in time and was able to volley the ball. However, Minji also made it in time and was ready to hit the ball past Seri.

"No," she thought while running to the baseline.
Unfortunately, Seri didn't make it in time, causing the score to tie.

"Deuce," the tennis official called.

"Ugh damn it," she muttered.

"Don't worry about it," Seri's coach encouraged, "You're doing great. I know you can win."

"I wish she'd just shut that annoying mouth of hers," she thought with irritation.

And just like that, Seri served another powerful serve. The girls rallied once more. Stroke after stroke, the girls kept hitting the tennis ball back and forth. Suddenly, Minji sliced the ball, making the ball fly slowly and short. Seri was on diagonal from where the ball was landing. She turned her ankles sharply and sprinted to the ball. Before the tennis ball would bounce on the court a second time, Seri dived for the ball thrusting her racket in front of her.

Crack!

Seri looked up to see that her tennis racket had cracked in half and felt a burning sensation on her left ankle. As she tried to stand up, she felt electric waves go up to her left leg and yelled in pain. She fell onto the ground again, causing the tennis official to pause the game. Seri's coach and a medic ran onto the court.

"Seri," she exclaimed worriedly, "Are you okay? Can you stand?"

"I'm fine. I'm fine," Seri sighed with annoyance. She could feel tears burn in her eyes, but didn't want to let them out because that would be a sign of weakness and pain.

"Ms. Hwang," the medic stated, "Your legs and elbows are scathed, and your left ankle is extremely swollen. You won't be able to play in this condition."

"No, I'm fine. I can play. I can still stand up. See?"

"No, Ms. Hwang- "

But it was too late. As she started to stand up, Seri dragged her left ankle behind her. She felt a burning pain as she tried to walk. Seri stumbled as she fell onto the ground again in pain, clenching her fist.

"Seri, please, let's go check out your ankle. We don't want you to injure yourself more," he said.

Seri looked down in defeat as tears began to brim her eyes.

"That's it. I'm done for," she thought helplessly.

So, Hwang Seri had lost the summer tennis national champion and had severely fractured her left ankle. She had to forfeit the match because of her injury. The whole high school had heard about her tragic defeat and was in shock to know that the star player of Seoul Central High School had been defeated. Seri was filled with embarrassment and rage as she couldn't go to school for the following week. She had made the Hwang title a disgrace and couldn't bear to think of her loss.

——————————
a/n: woooooo prologue is up! i hope you really enjoy this story because romance is a genre i feel more comfortable writing. this is gonna be really exciting!