22. true feelings

"Hi Seri

"Hi Seri. Can we talk please?"

"Come on, Seri," Sua nudged her lightly from behind, "Just go. It'll be better that way."

With an unamused face, Seri nodded, "Youngmin, can you get my wheelchair?"

**

Sua had left back to her home while Jake pushed Seri in her wheelchair as the sun set and the cool September breeze began to blow. The two in awkward silence, once again said nothing to each other, until they arrived at a nearby park by Seri's apartment. Jake sat beside Seri on one of the park benches as the both of them avoided each others' gazes.

"So you wanted to talk to me?" Seri finally said, twiddling her fingers in circles.

"Yeah, but I didn't actually think you were going to come," he scratched the back of his head, "Look Seri, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry into your personal life. I'm just worried for you and I care about you a lot. I just want the best for you and I want to be here for you. Because I wasn't there for you when you were struggling the most, I want to-"

"So you pity me?" she scoffed.

"No, Seri, that's not what I meant-"

"Jaeyun, pitying me makes me feel worse. I didn't ask for you to come or feel guilty about anything, okay? Why can't you just leave the past behind? I don't want to remember how much I suffered. I'm much better now with my life and-"

"Seri, would you just listen to me?!" Jake agitatedly exclaimed, raising his voice, "I don't want you to worry about your future or how miserable you're going to be if you can't play tennis. I don't want you to get so depressed that you have thoughts about committing suicide again-"

"Why would I want to kill myself again?" Seri spat offended, "Would you just stop? I didn't ask you to bring up painful memories, okay? How could you be so insensitive. I get you're a nice guy, but how could you say something like that? Are you assuming I'm still having suicidal thoughts because I'm getting an operation? Jaeyun, you're a fuc-"

"SERI, I'M TRYING TO TELL YOU I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU, SERI," Jake sputtered with fury.

"What?" Seri's mouth agape, stared at him mindlessly.

"I said I love you, I love you Hwang Seri," Jake repeated, but this time a visible blush ran across his face.

Unsure how to react, Seri stayed frozen, in her wheelchair, staring directly into his eyes.

"Well that's certainly one way to confess," she thought.

"Seri, I loved you the moment I met you. I love seeing you everyday and being with you. I love that temper of yours and your personality as wild as it sounds. Call me crazy, but I'm in love with you. And even though we hadn't seen each other for years, I always have and always will have feelings for you."

"Jaeyun, I care about you. I really do. But with you and my brother, I'm not sure I'm ready yet. How do I know that you're not going to pack up and leave again? I'm just not ready. I don't even know myself. I don't know what I identify myself in, what I want my future to be like. All I'm known as is the 'salty bitch' no one can get along with," her voice broke, "I don't even have friends or even know what a genuine friendship feels like. Let alone, I don't think I can handle a relationship. I'm not ready. I'm not ready for anything. I'm sorry."

"Ah this is what it's about," Jake thought.

"Seri, you're certainly not a 'salty bitch'. You've gone through hardships no one would understand. I don't want you to feel that way. I want you to feel that you're loved and you're not alone. I'm not going anywhere. I swear. I swear, I'm not moving anywhere. And even if you're not ready for a relationship, I want you to know that I'm going to be here and I'm going to stay here and support you no matter what."

"Damnit Jake Sim, you really baffle me."