25. hard decisions

"I

"I... I like you, Jaeyun."

Jake stopped pushing the wheelchair and came around, staring into Seri's gorgeous dark brown eyes.

"You mean it?" he whispered.

She nodded. Jake immediately engulfed her in a hug and tightly wrapped his arms around her.

"I love you, Seri," Jake said softly.

"I do too. I love you too, Jaeyun," Seri responded sweetly, "Now could you let go of me? You're all sweaty."

"Sorry," he laughed, "Let's go home now."

**

Time flew faster than Seri realized and in less than a week, Seri had to fill out a form, discussing her major. However, she had to think logically about her career which came to the conclusion of talking with her family.

"I'm happy to see you've been in a good mood these days. So what did you want to talk about?" Mr. Hwang questioned.

"Dad, mom, Youngmin oppa," Seri sighed, taking a sip of her tea, "You know next month I have to get surgery and by the end of next week, I have to submit my form for college.  Anyways, I was reflecting on my future and I think... I think I should end it all. I should end my tennis career."

Almost spitting out his tea, Youngmin dropped his cup, "WHAT?"

"Seri, are you sure about this? You can still play after you get surgery and therapy," Mrs. Watanabe exclaimed.

"It's going to take ages for me to heal and it will be over a year till I can play tennis. Besides that tennis scholarship is gone. I can't go anywhere with that. And Youngmin, you don't have to keep playing tennis. You can stop if you want to. Sorry I've been so problematic and overdramatic since you came home."

"S-Seri, are you positively sure?" Youngmin asked in disbelief, "You wouldn't give up tennis for anything-"

"Oppa, I mean it. It's going to be fine. Besides, I don't have to compete for me to enjoy tennis. I can just play for fun with people I meet in college you know."

"Are you going to rethink your decision? I know this must've been incredibly hard for you," Seri's dad said.

"No, this is my final decision. I'm going to stop competing in tennis for real. And I've decided on my major. I'm going to major in communication and journalism so I can be a sports news anchor," Seri exclaimed, "I know it'll be incredibly difficult, but I'm going to apply for Seoul National University, Yonsei University, and Hanyang University. With my grades and history, I have a chance of getting into these schools."

"I'm so proud of you, honey," her mother exclaimed giving her a hug and kissing the top of her head, "I know you'll do amazing."

"Well since you're stopping tennis officially, why don't we have a retirement gala for you. It'll be nice and we can invite your friends from school and I will invite family and colleagues. How does that sound?" Mr. Hwang asked.

"Sounds like a great idea, dad."

**

The following day...

"Hey guys, let's gather round," Seri exclaimed, pausing the music, "I have a few announcements to make."

Everyone listened, proceeding to sit on the ground, facing towards her.

"What's up?" Heeseung asked.

"So I just wanted to say everyone is doing a really great job and I think we're almost ready for the showcase in December. Next month, us 3rd years are taking entrance exams for college and on November 15, it is one of our member's birthday: Jaeyun's. It is also the day of the big soccer tournament so I want everyone to take a day off to go and support Jaeyun's game. And one more thing, on New Year's eve, I'm inviting all of you to my retirement party. It will be held from 8 pm - 2 am, so I hope everyone can make it. I'll be sending invitations around next week," Seri smiled weakly.

"Retirement party?" Sunghoon tilted his head, "What do you mean?"

"I'm giving up my tennis career for good."

"WHAT?" everyone gasped in unison.

Seri burst into laughter hugging her stomach, "You guys are too funny."

"What do you mean, you're giving up your tennis career? You have so much potential," Ni-ki exclaimed in shock.

"Yeah, I know! You competed internationally and won so many matches in Korea. Why are you giving up now?" Jay asked with concern.

"It's going to take ages for my foot and ankle to heal and I'm extremely out of practice. Besides, if I think about it, it's not logical at all and I can't get a scholarship because of my injury. Don't worry though, I'm going to major in communication and journalism so I can be a sports news anchor for tennis."

"I'm so proud of you, Seri sunbae. I know you're going to do great in anything you do," Sua smiled giving her a small hug.

"Thanks."

**

After the club...

Jake had finished up soccer practice a little earlier than usual to meet up with Seri. Together, the two of them sat on a bench at a local park and drank some lattes.

"Are you okay? I heard from Heeseung hyung and the rest of the club about your tennis situation," Jake said.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she gave him a sullen smile and looked down at her cup of coffee.

Jake wrapped his arm around Seri and held her close.

"No matter what Seri, you're always going to do amazing in everything and I know you're going to be a great news anchor."

Seri bit her lip, trying to hold in her tears, but soon tears dripped down her cheeks.

"Jaeyun, I don't want to stop playing tennis. I really don't. I want to keep playing for the rest of my life, but I can't because of my injury. I know I had to make this decision for my own sake, but it hurts. It hurts so bad. Not playing tennis is like a piece of me is missing. And I know I can play once my foot is all healed, but it's not the same. It's never going to be the same," she sobbed into his shoulder.

"I know, I know, Seri," he gently whispered while stroking her hair, "I know this is one of the hardest decisions you've ever had to consider. But, it's going to be okay. Everything is going to be just fine."