14. busan

The group headed over to Jake's family hanok and happy, boisterous barks were heard in the distance

"Layla!" Jake smiled happily while running over to her, "I missed you so much!"

The cream border collie sweetly kissed Jake's face and jumped on top of him to give him a warm welcome. She quickly noticed the group of people surrounding her and greeted them with delight.

"Welcome to the Sim Hanok!" Jake exclaimed, "Sua just texted me and said she's going to be coming around 4 pm. Now let's unpack our belongings. We're going to get take out food for lunch and then we're going to do some group activities on the beach. And then we'll send some people to go to the market to buy groceries for the barbeque tonight."

"Sounds like a plan," Heeseung replied.

**

Before they knew it, everyone had finished unpacking and of course, Seri had assistance due to her injury. Everyone was lounging on the porch and hanging out, laughing meanwhile Seri somewhat isolated herself from the group. Sure they had forgiven her for her crappy behavior, but she still didn't feel comfortable enough to hang around them. It was overwhelming.

"Hi, Seri-san," a tall boy with sharp eyes and soft nose, waved as he walked over to her, "Jake hyung tells me that you're fluent in Japanese."

"Hai," she responded in Japanese, raising a brow, "I'm more comfortable speaking Japanese. If I'm correct, you're Riki right?"

"Hai," he smiled, "Nishimura Riki, but everyone calls me Ni-ki. You know like the first part of my surname and the ending of my first name-"

"I get it."

"Anyways, how can you speak Japanese so well?"

"I lived in Japan for 4 years and I moved back to Korea last year. My mother is Japanese and my father is Korean. Don't you know Watanabe Hanako?" she questioned, a little shocked by the boy's cluelessness.

"Wait- your mom is the Watanabe Hanako? Wow, I had no idea. Now that look at you, you do look like your mom a bit," Ni-ki said, impressed.

"Yeah," she side smiled, "Anyways, what brought you to Korea?"

"My parents wanted me to study abroad. I've been in Korea since my third year of middle school so I've been here for a little over a year now. Also, I've become a trainee," Ni-ki exclaimed.

"Oh, so you sing?"

"Sorta, but I've danced my whole life. My parents own a dance studio so it's been a part of me. Just like how tennis and I suppose height runs in your family."

"I guess," Seri shrugged.

The two ended up conversing with each other in the language that felt most like home: Japanese. She was able to get closer with a fellow underclassman and was able to connect with him in a way. She felt more comfortable and was at ease.

**

4:07 pm

"Hi guys," Sua shouted from afar with her duffle bag and a bag of fruit, "Sorry I'm a little late. I got a little lost on the way here."

"Hi, Sua," Jungwon smiled, greeting his friend, "Here I'll put your stuff away and you can see the others."

"Thanks, Jungwon," Sua smiled back.

"Hi Sua," Jake said, walking to her, "I'm glad you were able to make it!"

"Thanks, sunbae. I'm so excited. This is the first time I actually get to do something fun for once. My mom actually let me since Jungwon was here," she laughed.

"Now that you're here, we can play some ice breakers at the beach, and then around 6 we're going to have a barbeque dinner," Jake exclaimed.

"Sounds great! Why don't we all start heading over right now," she said sweetly, spotting Seri on the opposite side of the porch.

**

After ice breakers, everyone was starving. Jake and Jay began to grill the meat while Jungwon, Sunoo, and Ni-ki washed the vegetables. Heeseung and Sunghoon were preparing skewers full of peppers, mushrooms, and sausage.

"Jake, we're missing drinks and ssamjang (Korean fermented bean paste)," Jay exclaimed, looking over at the empty table.

"Ah, I totally forgot. There's a convenience store 5 minutes away. I'll-"

"Jake sunbae, I'll go," Sua said while walking over to him, "I haven't gotten to help much so I'll buy the drinks and ssamjang."

"Ah thanks so much," Jake smiled with a hint of relief, "Hey if you're okay with it, can you take Seri with you? I know you guys don't have the best relationship, but I think this can help you bond with her."

"I guess so," Sua murmured.

And so Seri and Sua headed over to the convenience store. In awkward silence, Sua pushed Seri in her wheelchair.

"Sua," Seri finally spoke, "I have something to say."

She didn't respond but kept pushing Seri.

"I'm... I'm sorry. I'm sorry about the way I spoke to you. As your senior, I shouldn't have spoken in that sort of manner to you. I have no excuses for my rudeness. I'm sorry, Sua."

------------------------------------------------

a/n: hello everyone! I am finally back from my hiatus. I was definitely not the most motivated to write. I was struggling with school, tests, and stress, but I am finally back on track. sorry about how boring this chapter was. it was basically a filler and I promise the next chapter will be better!