28. finale: resolutions

4 days later

4 days later...

"Mr. Hwang, please can I see her. I have to see Seri," Jake begged.

"Jaeyun, I told you, you can't see her. The doctors told me she's not allowed to see anyone, but family at the moment. Besides, she's recovering fine," Mr. Hwang sighed at the persistent teen.

Every day after school, Jake would come to the hospital and would coincidentally encounter Mr. Hwang and Mrs. Watanabe. Overwhelming the two parents, he would overly apologize and beg for forgiveness as well as ask if he can see her.

"Jaeyun, I know you want to see her, but don't you think you've caused enough trouble for us?"

"What?" Jake responded with confusion.

"Majority of this is our fault because we moved, but Seri was practically attached to you. She held onto you for so long she couldn't let you go after many years. And because of you, this happened. So could you just leave her alone?" Mr. Hwang requested hostilly, "It'll be better if you just leave and stop hurting everyone around you."

Taken aback by his comment Jake nodded in defeat and trudged out of the hospital.

"Seri, I'm so sorry. Please forgive me," he felt gentle tears fall from his eyes, "I just want everything to go back to normal."

**

As days went by, Seri's hospital routine became repetitive and quite lonely. Because her parents were constantly working, the only visitor she ever got was her older brother who watched her throughout the day.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

"Same old same," Seri sighed leaning back into the hospital bed.

"Hey, Seri," Youngmin began to say, "I've been thinking a lot and I was considering what I should do with my life. And honestly, I think the best option for me is to keep playing tennis. Sure I suck right now, but I'm going to keep playing and I want to keep playing so you feel proud of me."

"Youngmin oppa, that's really great. It really is and you don't need to keep playing to make me proud of you because I already am," Seri smiled warmly.

"Seri," Youngmin's voice cracked as hugged his younger sister, "I'm so sorry I wasn't there when you needed me the most. I'm so sorry."

"It's totally okay, daijobudesu ("I'm okay" in Japanese)," she responded hugging him back, "But if you could do me a tiny favor."

"Anything for you."

"Could you convince dad to let Jaeyun come visit me? I heard from the nurses that he came almost every single day asking if he could see me and I seriously need to talk to him," she sighed, "I feel horrible."

"If it's a request from you, dad will definitely let him. You know how much of a softie he is for you," Youngmin chuckled.

"Thanks bro."

**

And so, as Youngmin foretold, Mr. Hwang allowed Jake to come visit her but was extremely hesitant about allowing him. When he received a phone call from Youngmin, Jake was elated and was ready to see Seri, but wasn't exactly sure what to say to her. The day went by faster than he thought and soon he was standing right in front of Seri's hospital door.

"Hi Seri," he exclaimed softly, "How're you doing?"

"Jaeyun," she said ever so quietly. Seri began biting the insides of her lip, trying to contain her tears. Her guilt pained her so much and it felt as if she stabbed herself with a million knives.

"Don't tell me you're going to cry," he teased trying to lighten up the mood.

"Jaeyun," she began to sob, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Jake immediately rushed to her side and clasped his arms around her. She seemed almost so tiny and fragile. He could feel her spine as Seri sobbed in his chest.

"Don't be. It's okay. Seri, everything is okay now," Jake whispered.

"I just thought if I had left everything would be better. You wouldn't have to be tortured by other students because of me and the rest of the school would be at peace with me gone-"

"Don't say another word. I don't want to hear that nonsense. Seri, you know how much more miserable my life would be without you? I need you, Seri, and I love you. I want you to know I love you and you're loved by so many people. I know it hurts to know how cruel society is, but ignore them because the people that are by your side are the ones that are going to stay forever," Jake retorted, "Nothing would be better if you were gone."

He gently lifted her up from his embrace and stared into her gorgeous eyes. Caressing her cheek, he leaned in and gently pressed his lips on hers. Seri sweetly returned the kiss closing her tear-stained eyes. It seemed as if the precious moment could last forever before they let go.

"I love you, Seri."

"I love you too."