23. confusion

Late at night, in her bed, Seri laid restless

Late at night, in her bed, Seri laid restless. Turning and tossing, she couldn't fall asleep as a thought remained in her mind.

"Jake loves me? By love he means love love?" she face planted into her pillow, "Why does he have to drive me insane?"

The next day at school, Seri could barely make eye contact with Jake. If he even waved or gave her a soft smile, she would immediately become flustered and quickly look away from him. How could he act as if nothing happened?! Even at the club, Seri couldn't function properly and her mind was all over the place. Sua sensed a peculiar vibe from Seri and knew something was not right.

"Seri sunbae, are you okay?" she whispered as the boys continued to practice for the upcoming winter showcase.

Seri seemed to be in a daze as she did not hear a single word coming out of Sua's mouth.

"Seri sunbae?"

"Yah, Seri, Hwang Seri!" At this point, Jake was grabbing her shoulders and lightly shaking her.

By the time she realized it was Jake calling her, her eyes opened wide with surprise.

"Ah- Jake, what are you doing?" she gasped, feeling her face heat up.

"Are you okay? You're totally out of it today. You're never like this. I have never seen you like this in my whole entire life. Hwang Seri you're alive right?" Jake asked with concern.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," Seri brushed his arms off her shoulders, "I'm going to get some air."

"Sunbae, I'll go with her too. You guys keep practicing," Sua said to Jake while grabbing the handles of Seri's wheelchair.

Sua pushed Seri out of the studio room, heading over to the elevator.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"No, not at all," Seri exclaimed, frazzled, "How can he act as if nothing happened yesterday!"

"Wait what happened yesterday?"

"He told me he loves me," Seri muttered.

"Wait for real!?" Sua asked with excitement, "Seri that's amazing! How did you respond?"

"I told him I wasn't ready to date anyone. I don't even know what love really means or if I can manage a relationship. And imagine all the backlash Jake would get if the whole school found out we're dating. His life would be absolutely miserable because of me. But still, he acts all friendly and smiles cutely as if he didn't even confess to me," she grabbed her hair, "What am I supposed to do now?"

"Wow... sounds like you're in a tricky situation," Sua exclaimed, thinking hard, "But, based off what you're saying, it sounds like you like him."

"Me, liking Jake?" Seri asked with shock, "No, no. I could never."

"Think about it, you care about him and care about what other people will think of him. You just want to protect him and you even said his smile is cute. I've watched enough Korean dramas to recognize these symptoms of a crush."

"So I do like Jake?" Seri questioned even more puzzled.

"I don't know, you have to figure it out yourself," Sua laughed.

**

As the autumn weather began to cool down more, Jake's soccer season finally started. He started missing the club more frequently as practice was after school every day for about 3-4 hours.

"Hey guys," Jake exclaimed, gathering everyone in the studio, "Today will be my last official day in the club before I commit to soccer. Don't worry, I'll be back by the end of November."

"Aw hyung, I'm going to miss you," Ni-ki whined, clinging onto Jake's neck.

"Don't worry I'm coming back. Besides, you guys can come to see me at practice once the club is over," he said.

**

"Hey Seri, do you want to go take a peek of Jake hyung practicing before the club starts. His practice is an hour early," Ni-ki asked.

"You take your other hyungs," Seri responded.

"Eh~ it has to be you. You've been friends with Jake hyung practically forever. Come on, pleaaasseee?" he begged.

"Alright, alright," Seri groaned.

Ni-ki smiled with delight as he began to push her to the soccer field. The sound of a whistle could be heard in a distance as the two of them watched the boy's soccer team run drills and kick the ball.

"Ah- they're so cool," Ni-ki gushed in awe.

"Why didn't you join the team?"

"Well I'm a trainee and also, I need to focus on one thing at a time, you know," he responded.

"I suppose so. Do you see Jake anywhere?" she asked.

"No, not at all. Wait- actually, I do, he's by the bench talking with his coach and another girl?" Ni-ki tilted his head like a confused puppy.

Another girl? Was Jake flirting with another girl?