09. welcome to the performing arts club

"Wow

"Wow... you weren't kidding," Jay exclaimed, "It really is Hwang Seri. Jake I don't know how you did it, but you're amazing."

Seri stood there with her arms crossed leaning into the wall, unamused.

"Hah you give me too much credit," Jake chuckled softly, "Anyways, Seri, I'm sure you already know Jay and Sunghoon so meet the rest of the group: Ni-ki, Yang Jungwon, Kim Sunoo, and Lee Heeseung who sits behind you in class."

"Yeah, okay," she exclaimed in an unenthusiastic tone, "Hwang Seri. I'm sure you already know."

"Alrighty, so Seri, I already got the schedules printed out and the calendar, Jake smiled, handing her a folder full of paper, "Okay then, guys, let's get back to practice!"

The guys proceeded to practice their dance moves and Seri scanned through the schedule.

Practice. Autumn: Jake's soccer match season. Practice. Practice. Winter Showcase on December 9th. Practice. Practice. Spring Talent Show on April 16. Practice.

When she flipped to the calendar something caught her eye.

Summer retreat?

If there was a summer retreat that meant she was going. And there was no way she wanted to go and babysit a group of chaotic teenagers.

"Jake," she called.

"Yeah, what's up?" he smiled.

"What's with this retreat?" Seri interrogated.

"Oh that," he chuckled sheepishly, "I guess I forgot to tell you. From July 31 to August 5 we're going on a group retreat in Busan. My family has a summer hanok we stay at so I thought it would be a good idea if we could bond. It'll be fun and we're going to be at the beach a lot. Feel free to bring a friend if you want to."

"Friend... like I have any," she mumbled.

"What was that?" Jake asked.

"Nothing. You can go now," Seri answered arrogantly.

**

"Mom, I'm begging you, please don't make me go to Busan. I barely know the guys and they're all so weird," Seri complained.

"No, you're going," Hanako said firmly, "I already told Mrs. Sim that you are happy to go. Besides, you need the sunlight rather than being cooped up in your room all day. It's Jaeyun. We can trust him."

"What about my foot mom? How am I going to manage all by myself?"

"That's why we're sending Youngmin to come."

"Wha- Youngmin?" Seri said, her eyes wide open, "You can't be serious, mom. I haven't even talked to him for a week now! What does dad think about this? I'm going to go and ask him-"

"I've already had the conversation with him and he believes that this is a great opportunity for you to actually relax for once. Seri, honey, you're so tense and I think you need to let loose. Enjoy yourself for once," Hanako exclaimed, trying to reassure her daughter.

Annoyed, Seri limped up the stairs and slammed the door. She couldn't believe how much her mom chose against her decisions. After all, Seri was 18, not a young immature child. Sure she had a foul temper, but she never believed her mother would make such decisions. She would like to think she was independent to a certain extent.

"I can't believe mom! She's been getting on my nerves these days, but seriously she wants to hang out with Jake and his loser group of friends?" she thought furiously, "And she has to make that dipshit of a brother of mine come too?! This is stupid! Completely stupid!"

Besides, why bother bonding with people when they're just going to leave you behind anyway?