01. first loss

"Seri-ah," her mother said into the door, "Can you please come out of your room

"Seri-ah," her mother said into the door, "Can you please come out of your room. You haven't left since the incident."

"Mother," Seri mumbled, "Please leave me alone."

"Your father wants to talk to you."

Your father wants to talk to you. Those words rang in her mind as she slowly crept out of bed and grabbed her crutches. Seri opened the door only to find her mother had already gone down the stairs and was ready to have a conversation with her. She prudently hopped down the stairs to see her mother and father sitting at the dining table. Seri quickly looked away from her father's gaze. After all, she completely embarrassed him.

"Seri, let's have a friendly chat over some hot tea, shall we," her father exclaimed cheerfully.

She nodded as she silently sat down, placing her crutches on the floor.

"Now, Seri, we understand how hard you are on yourself. We also understand how much you love tennis and don't want to give up on it. However, as your parents, we don't want you to stress over losing one game," her mother explained.

"Seri, we are very proud of your accomplishments, and losing one game shouldn't affect you very much. The doctor said you'd be in a cast for about 4-5 months, but even though you fractured your ankle, this is a good opportunity for you to take a break and watch some tennis," her father said.

Seri was boiling with anger as she banged her fists on the table, surprising both of her parents.

"Mother! Father! How can you treat me like this? You know I've already screwed up my whole life by fracturing my ankle. How can you tell me losing a tennis match isn't a big deal? Mother, I'm the first singles player at Seoul Central! I haven't lost a single game until last week because of one stupid mistake! How can you tell me it's not a big deal when I'm a Hwang? I'm a disgrace to the name!" she cried.

"Seri," her father said sternly, "You are not a disgrace to the Hwang name. I'm well aware of how hard you work and all the skills you want to achieve. You're aware that every single tennis champion and legend had lost games. It's a learning experience—even me. Though losing isn't the best feeling, you get the feeling of determination. I'm sure Youngmin would agree too."

"Dad," Seri wailed, "I want to be the best tennis player. Better than you. Better than Youngmin oppa!"

"If you want to be better than Youngmin and me, then you have to accept the fact you lost and move on Seri. We're not disappointed in you, so please, stop being so hard on yourself," her father sighed.

"Father-"

"Seri," her mother interrupted, "I think that's enough. You may return to your room."

She scowled as she grabbed her crutches and angrily hopped back up to her room, slamming the door. She plopped herself into her bed and buried her face into her pillows. Tears started streaming out of her eyes.

"Why," she cried while banging her fists on her pillows, "Why did this have to happen to me? Why couldn't I just win? I'm so bad that I couldn't even beat someone at the school of performing arts. They're a freaking art school not athletic! At this rate, I can't even beat Youngmin."

**

1 week later...

Seri was forced to go to school because one week's worth of absences was not acceptable to her parents. She grumpily put her uniform on and placed her heavy bag over her shoulder.

"Ugh, I don't want to see anyone. The annoying girls who think they're all that and the stupid, ignorant guys. I hate Seoul Central," she grumbled.

After drinking her morning green tea and eating her breakfast, Seri headed over to the car, a Mercedes-Benz, where the family private chauffeur Mr. Noh would drive her to school.

"How have you been?" he asked her as he started to drive.

"Bad," she muttered under her breath as she leaned her head on the window.

"Well, let's hope you have a good day, right?" he responded cheerfully, "Anyways, we're here. Have a good day at school, Ms. Hwang."

"Good day, my ass," Seri murmured as she climbed out of the car.

As she struggled using her crutches to get into the school building, she received hundreds of stares. No one dared ask to help her because nobody was prepared for her reaction. Her icy glares and snaps were the worst. She arrived in class and took her seat in the back by the windows, second to the last seat. Bustles of whispers floated around the room as she opened up her math notes. All the whispers were about her tragic loss and how bad she did. Trying to hold in all the anger, she took a deep breath and decided to focus on the calculus questions she missed. That was until a certain someone walked in.

It was the one and only Sim Jaeyun also known as Jake. He was one of the most popular guys at Seoul Central along with his 6 other friends: a heartthrob. Not only was he the captain of the soccer team, but he was part of the performing arts club, also an extremely unpopular club no one wanted to join. Even though the 7 heartthrobs were the only members of the club, it seemed that no one was interested.

Jake quickly whispered something to Heeseung, one of his friends, only to hear him let out a sigh.

"Do whatever your heart desires," he murmured, uneasy.

That's when Jake walked up the Seri's desk, placing his hands on it and leaning in towards her. She looked up with disgust as she thought she was looking into the face of a vermin.

"What do you want?" she scowled while folding her arms.

"Hey, that's no way to treat your friend," he playfully pouted.

"Hurry up, I need to study and catch up with the rest of the lessons."

"I have a tiny favor to ask?"

She raised her eyebrows in irritation.

"Since you have more free time, can you be the manager of the performing arts club?"