15. unexpected

" I'm

" I'm... I'm sorry. I'm sorry about the way I spoke to you. As your senior, I shouldn't have spoken in that sort of manner to you. I have no excuses for my rudeness. I'm sorry, Sua."

Sua sighed with relief and a sense of happiness. "It's okay, Seri sunbae. I mean it. I get why you acted like that. I mean it was a bit brash of me to come up and-"

"No," Seri interrupted, "Don't make excuses for yourself. I don't want you to be upset because of how rude and mean I was to you."

"Okay, then. I accept your apology," Sua chirped.

"If the offer is still open, I'll be your mentor. I'll help you improve your tennis skills and give you some good tips. And after I'm all healed we can play against-"

"Sunbae, it's fine. I really mean it. Besides you need your foot to heal and I..." her voice trailed off.

"What is it?"

"Nothing," Sua gave her a reassuring smile, "Look we're already here. Jake sunabae was right, it is really close to his hanok."

The automatic doors of the convenience shop opened and were greeted by a cute old lady.

"Hi girls! Welcome to the convenience shop. Let me know if you need anything," the grandma exclaimed softly.

"Thank you," Sua replied.

The girls passed the aisles of snacks, desserts, instant foods, and candies, heading over to the refrigerator section.

"Hm... which drinks should we get?" Sua questioned.

"The green tea," Seri spoke almost immediately, pointing at the bottle, "And Jake likes grape soda."

"Okay so 1 green tea, 1 grape soda, I want an orange soda, Jungwon likes peach soda, a lemonade for Sunoo, sparkling water for Jay, cola for Ni-ki, fruit punch for Heeseung, and a small pack of water bottles."

Sua paid for the drinks and ssamjang and handed the bag to Seri. She pushed her back to Jake's family hanok so they could finally eat.

"Seri sunbae," Sua began to say.

"Yes?"

"I feel like telling you something."

"Go ahead."

"The reason why I declined your offer to teach me tennis was..." she paused, "I have leukemia. I'm going to be hospitalized in about 5 months if my condition gets worse."

Speechless, Seri stayed silent.

"You're shocked, right?" Sua asked, playfully, "Don't worry, I'll be better soon. I was diagnosed when I was 8 years old and got treatment. Somehow, it came back again this year so I need to get treatment again, including chemotherapy."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Seri whispered.

"I'm going to be perfectly fine," Sua exclaimed, "Now, can you please not tell anyone. Especially Jungwon. I haven't told anyone yet and because I've known Jungwon since our first year of middle school, I don't want to worry him."

Seri nodded, "Whatever you think is best."
———————————————-
a/n: double update bc if my hiatus!! hope you guys enjoy a lil extra drama to the plot :)