20. hopeless

"I have to get an operation?" Seri thought in disbelief, coming home from the doctor's, "At this rate, I might not even get to play tennis again

"I have to get an operation?" Seri thought in disbelief, coming home from the doctor's, "At this rate, I might not even get to play tennis again. My scholarship is gone for good."

**

The next day...

Back on crutches, Seri spent her time in the school's library, staring blankly at her college application form. No one was usually at the library so she used it as a place to be alone.

"What am I going to even major in? The only thing I really enjoy doing is tennis. And now... I can't even play it. I don't have much time either. Should I just apply undecided?" she sighed in frustration, "What am I going to do?"

"Oh Seri?" a voice exclaimed, "What are you doing here?"

"Jake? What are you doing here?" she responded, looking at him.

"I came to return the physics textbook I borrowed. No one usually comes here, so why are you here?" he questioned.

"I came here just because," Seri sighed heavily, resting her head in her arms.

Jake walked over, sitting in one of the chairs at the table she was at.

"I know you, Hwang Seri," he smiled, "You normally don't rest your head in your arms. And if you're sitting and sighing, something is clearly on your mind. What's wrong?"

"Nothing really," Seri turned away from his gaze, "Don't worry about it."

"Are you sure? I'm here if you need anything."

"Why is life so unfair?" she murmured, "I had my whole life ahead of me, but now I lost my chance of getting a scholarship and going to nationals. I lost my chance of competing internationally too. Even in all the international competitions, I've won every time, but now I can't even do anything. Why did I have to break my ankle and foot? Of all body parts! It could've been my finger or something."

Jake ruffled the top of her head, "Don't worry, your ankle and foot are healing, right? Everything is going to be alright. Even if your whole tennis plan doesn't work out, I'm sure you'll be able to find something. What about writing or becoming a news reporter? I know you loved that stuff when you were younger. We used to act like we were news reporters all the time if we weren't playing tennis."

"But you don't understand," Seri said with exasperation, "It's going to take longer to heal since my ankle broke twice and my tarsals are broken. It's so bad I have to get surgery! At this point, I can't even play tennis anymore!"

"Surgery?" Jake's eyes opened widely.

"I- Sorry, I wasn't intending on telling you that part," Seri tried brushing it off, "Anyways, I have to figure something I want to study-"

"You weren't going to tell me you were getting surgery? When is it?" The color in Jake's eyes seemed to fade as he stared at her seriously, "Seri, do you not trust me still? Aren't we best friends?"

Seri stood up, grabbing her crutches, "Best friends? My ass... I thought we were over that conversation. I wasn't going to tell you in the first place because I knew you were going to overreact. Forget I said anything. Don't even think about telling your friends."

Hobbling out of the library, Jake sighed in frustration, pulling the ends of his hair.

"Hwang Seri, what am I going to do with you?"

--------------------------------------

a/n: hey everyone! I'm so sorry I've been dead. I haven't been very motivated to write and the storyline is kinda falling apart sghskjhgsjkhgskj sorry about that. I'll promise to make the story much better :)

also tysm for 700+ reads!