16. starry nights

Seri and Sua returned back to the hanok just as the guys were finishing up grilling the meat and skewers

"You guys came back fast! What drinks did you buy?" Jungwon questioned, taking the bag from Seri.

"A variety. You guys can choose whatever you want, but the orange soda is mine and the green tea is Seri's. Now let's eat, I'm starving!"

**

Stuffed from the filling dinner, everyone chilled and was hanging out. Soon the sun went down and the long day came to an end. Everyone washed up and split up into their rooms. Seri and Sua were sharing a room. Laying on her stomach, Seri took her medicine for her concussion and swallowed it before going to sleep. She laid comfortable on the thick blanket with a thinner summer blanket over her.

"Seri sunbae, you're sleeping already? It's only 11 pm," Sua questioned, "The guys are going to play some card games. They said we can join them in their room."

"I'm going to get some rest," Seri replied, "My head hurts a bit."

"Okay," Sua smiled, standing up from the floor, "Come join us whenever you feel like it."

Seri nodded, "Good night."

**

2:30 am

The laughter and sounds of excitement died down as everyone returned to their rooms and were fast asleep. However, Seri could not. Her head ached and could not bear the pain. She crept out of the bed on the floor and crawled, trying her best to open the door leading to the porch.

She inhaled the cool summer air and carefully moved her broken foot. Resting her head on the wooden pole of the hanok she gazed at the gorgeous stars.

"Funny how you can see the stars here, but not in Seoul, right?" a familiar voice said.

"Jake," she gasped in surprise, "You scared me. Why are you up?"

"I'd like to ask you the same question," he awkwardly smiled, "I heard Layla whimpering so I took her out. What about you?"

She saw the border collie's head resting on Jake's lap.

"I couldn't sleep. I just needed some air."

"Hey, do you wanna go somewhere for a bit?" he asked.

"Right now? It's late," Seri responded.

"Who cares. Our parents aren't here to supervise us," Jake smiled.

He carefully removed Layla's head from his lap and placed it gently on the porch. He stood up and walked to Seri.

"Here get on my back."

"No. I'm too heavy for you. Besides, you're only two inches taller than me," she said bluntly.

"Hey, are you doubting my strength?" he let out a soft giggle, "Come on."

"Fine," Seri groaned, rolling her eyes.

She carefully got on his back, still in her oversized t-shirt and sports shorts without any shoes on.

"Can you hold this for a bit?" Jake asked, holding a folded blanket.

"Yeah," Seri responded.

"Where are we going?" she asked again.

"You'll see," Jake exclaimed while he began to walk.

The two of them stayed like that in awkward silence.

"Remember we used to go to your summer house in Jeju-do and play tennis in the tennis court in your backyard?" Jake finally questioned with a little smile.

"Yeah... that's before..."

"Before?"

"Before we separated," Seri said quietly.

Jake sighed, "Well that doesn't matter since we're here together right?"

"I guess," Seri sighed as well, "I guess it was strange since we never been apart for that long. I wasn't expecting you to move to Australia and return to Korea last year like my family."

"Yeah... I wasn't expecting you to leave for Japan either. And it was around the same time I left. It was hard living with new people and learning another language. It just wasn't the same as living in Korea with you and your family."

"When we moved to Japan, I struggled with everything except tennis and my grades. But my depression got worse and my socialization skills," Seri muttered.

"I know," Jake whispered.

"What?"

"Youngmin hyung told me."

"Of course he did," Seri sighed, "I swear he can't shut his mouth sometimes. He's such a loudmouth."

Jake laughed, "Don't worry about that. I'm the one who asked him. Seri, I'm worried about you. We used to text each other every day when we moved, but then you suddenly stopped and didn't answer my texts. And when I found out we were enrolling in the same high school in Korea, I didn't know how to react. So that's why in our second year, I tried not to bother you. I didn't know what was going on in your life and it had been around 4 years since we last saw each other. But I was heartbroken to see how... how lonely you were. You even started calling me Jake. That is the weirdest thing you've done. You never called me Jake."

"I guess it became out of habit," she mumbled.

"Anyways we're here," Jake exclaimed.

She looked over his shoulder to see the early morning sky and the peaceful sounds of the waves crashing. She inhaled the salty ocean air, resting her chin on Jake's shoulder. He walked onto the sand and placed the blanket Seri was holding onto the ground.

"This is why you said to bring a blanket," Seri said while Jake gently placed her down on the blanket.

"Yeah," he gave her a soft smile, sitting beside her, "Let's just chill."