17. without you

warning: mentions of suicide

"Jake, there's something I should tell you," Seri said softly, "I think I'm comfortable to tell you."

"Go ahead."

"When my family first moved to Japan, I was miserable. For some reason, I had been born a pessimistic kid and it got worse. Being away from the place that I called my home was unbearable and being away from you. Without you, it was so hard. I was alone most of the time and I didn't make a single friend yet Japanese became a language I'm more comfortable speaking. I missed you every single day and there wasn't one day I wasn't thinking about you. I felt so alone. Youngmin was always out with his friends and prepping for university, mom was at her photoshoots, dad coaching tennis and playing all the time. No one understood how I felt. In my first year of high school in Japan, my depression was getting worse. We got treatment, I took antidepressants and played tennis to release endorphins, but nothing seemed to work. On May 24... I couldn't take it. I wanted to escape from reality so badly. That's why I... I tried to commit suicide. I took sleeping pills. I took many of them. I blacked out and I don't remember what happened after. From what I heard Youngmin found me on the ground in the kitchen and I was rushed to the ER. If he hadn't come sooner I would've been dead for good. That's why my parents don't exactly like leaving me at home by myself. My parents paid so much money to make sure the press wouldn't release any news about my attempted suicide. My parents immediately unenrolled me from school and we headed back to Korean. Ironically, your family was back too and decided to settle in Seoul too. We didn't want to tell your family because we were embarrassed. But after all these years, I feel like I had to tell you."

"S-Seri," he whispered so softly he almost didn't make a sound. He quickly wrapped his arms around her and held her close.

"I'm so sorry. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you. I'm sorry, Seri."

She felt his warm tears wet her shoulder yet she just sat there.

"It's not your fault."

"You were suffering so much while I was just living my life. I was decently happy but you were in so much pain. Seri, why couldn't you tell me sooner?" he sobbed quietly.

"Jaeyun, I'm telling you it's fine. I'm still in the healing process and it's going to take a lot of time, but I like to say I'm getting better. I don't want you to worry so much, alright?" she questioned.

He nodded as she gently placed her hand on his cheek, wiping the tears from his eyes. Her hands were ice cold while his cheeks burned.

"What's wrong with you? Why are you blushing?" Seri bluntly asked.

"I-It's nothing," Jake responded quickly.

"Don't you dare tell anyone about this conversation or me wiping your tears, okay?"

"I should be the one telling you not to tell the guys I cried," he sniffled.

"If you won't tell anyone, I won't tell anyone," Seri negotiated.

"Why don't you trust me anymore? Even if you didn't tell me not to tell anyone about your own private information, I wouldn't have. You're too important to me," Jake exclaimed.

"But do we have a deal?" she asked.

"Of course. Now should we head back to the hanok?"

She nodded and put her back on his back.

"Seri."

"Yeah?"

"I want you to know that there wasn't a day I wasn't thinking about you. I missed you so much."

---------------------------------------------------------------

a/n: tysm for 500+ reads!