05. the truth comes out

Ever since Youngmin came home, the atmosphere of the house has been full of awkward silence

Ever since Youngmin came home, the atmosphere of the house has been full of awkward silence. No matter how many times Seri's parents tried to get her to come downstairs, she refused and locked herself up in her room. All Youngmin wanted to do was apologize because he never realized how much he meant to Seri.

**

The next day...

Seri continued with her daily life of being a student and studying. Since she couldn't play tennis for a long time she promised herself that she'd get the highest grades in class and get only A+'s. She wanted to do her best to forget about Youngmin and Jake too since she knew both of them were just trouble.

At 3 pm, Seri's parents picked her up from school and they headed over to Seoul Hospital to check how much her ankle was healing since the accident. Seri sighed with annoyance as she sat in the car. She put on her earplugs as she began to play classical music to calm her nerves.

Before she knew it, she and her family arrived at the hospital. As her father checked for her appointment and was escorted into an x-ray room.

2 hours later...

After several tests and check-ups on her ankle, Dr. Park came out with a large file of news for the Hwang's. "I can say we have very good news," Dr. Park smiled, "Seri's ankle is healing very well and she can now wear a walking boot, which is optional right now. At your next check-up, you can get the boot if you refuse the offer right now."

"I think it's a great idea for Seri to wear the boot. Besides, if she can start walking, it'll be better for her," her father replied, "What do you think, Seri?"

She nodded indifferently.

"Seri," Dr. Park began to say, "In about 4-5 months, you should be able to play tennis again and go about your daily life. It may seem long right now, but I guarantee that you'll be playing tennis soon. I'll go tell the nurses to prepare your walking boot. Just wait a few minutes longer."

Seri sighed as Dr. Park left the room and slouched back in her chair.

**

After her check-up, Seri was back at home now walking with a boot. It was definitely much easier for her to move around and not struggle as much up the stairs, but at the same time, it felt as if she was dragging a large weight around her foot.

She went to her bedroom and began to work on her calculus homework. After easily solving her homework, she tried to complete the rest until she was interrupted by a soft knock on her door.

"What?" she snapped with annoyance.

"Can I come in?" it was the sound of her brother's voice.

"Whatever," she groaned.

The door slowly opened as Youngmin peeked his face through the crack of the door.

"I heard you got a walking boot. That's great news!" he said, trying to cheer her up.

"What do you want?"

He sighed as he entered her room. "I'm here to apologize. Seri, I'm so sorry. Really I am. I didn't mean to hurt you like this and I didn't realize how much me playing tennis meant to you. Seri, it hurts me to see you like this too. I don't want to see you all sad and annoyed all the time. Mom and dad are so worried about you. They don't even know what to do anymore. After you shut everyone out, things have become difficult for everyone. So please, show some more emotion. I miss seeing your smile, the smile you always wore as a little kid. I don't want to see you acting all tough. I know you're a delicate person, fragile like a piece of glass. And I know you don't want to live like this."

"Youngmin oppa, I was waiting for you. I was waiting so I could play tennis with you. I looked up to you so much. When we were younger you used to play tennis with me all the time, but you never played with me seriously. All I wanted was a match to show you my real skill! All I wanted to do was surpass you and make you and dad proud. But now look, you quit tennis and..." her voice trailed off, "And I'm a disgrace to the Hwang name."

"SERI!" he screamed slamming his fist on her desk, startling her, "I don't ever want to hear you say that again. You're not a disgrace. Seri, if anything, you've made us so proud and you don't even realize it."

"N-no," she stuttered as she felt tears fill her eyes, "That's not true. That's not true!"

"SHUT UP! Stop denying yourself. YOU ARE NOT A DISGRACE!"

She felt tears fall down her eyes until she ended up sobbed uncontrollably and tried to muffle her suffocating screams. The tears wouldn't stop coming from her eyes. She didn't realize what she was doing to her family nor herself. Her only goal was to be the best tennis player and didn't want to disappoint anyone. Most of all not disappoint her older brother.

"Y-Youngmin oppa," she sobbed. He came over to her and wrapped his arms around her. She buried her face in his shoulder as she continued to sob in agony. He stroked her hair just like he used to do when they were younger and patted her back.

"You're okay, Seri. You're okay."

**

Time went by as Seri freshened herself up and was able to talk to her older brother. She hadn't talked to Youngmin in years so it was great to catch up. She snorted at all the funny stories he told about his friends, laughed at all the jokes Australian people liked, and most of all enjoyed spending time with her brother like the good old days.

"Hey Seri, can I be serious with you for a sec?" he asked.

"Yeah, what is it?"

"Let's make a deal, alright. If you become the manager for the performing arts club, then I will start tennis again. And then, we can have a match for real this time. I promise."