America

Every Family Has Their Fights

TW: Mentions of death; Angst kinda

16th Century

3rd Person POV:

Out in the middle of nowhere, in the dead center of the New World was nothing. Nothing but animals running around in the sunny climate. Despite the hot deserts that filled the middle of the land, there was still plenty of farmland, for the harsh droughts were yet to come. And standing in the middle of the lush grasslands were two children. One was dressed in English attire fit for a young boy wanting to run around on a hot summer day. The other was dressed in clothing that seemed more native but still domesticated as it held traces of Spanish influence.

The two children stare at each other, clearly startled. The wilder of the two backed up, their body seeming to fill with terror at the sight of the unusual boy. Said boy stares back, not with fear, but with excitement.

"Woah! I never expected to meet someone out here! Big brother England said that there was nothing but savages, whatever that means. He even told me not to come, but I just had to! I knew something had to be out here! He's not here right now, so he won't even know I came. Oh, I'm America, by the way!" The young boy happily introduces himself, much to the confusion of the other. The unknown child backs up from America, clearly not liking the lack of space between them. They raise a brow and cautiously answer back.

"America? But I'm America! Just who the heck are you?" Despite understanding English, the child decided to speak in Spanish. Now it was the boy's turn to be confused. He takes a step forward, unaware of the caution the other child was taking.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I don't speak that. Maybe England was right, maybe you are a savage." The blonde seemed to sadden at the thought of not being able to understand his new friend. The 'savage' relaxes at the sight of the upset boy. Realizing he was not a threat, they put their guard down.

"England, you say?" They whisper to themselves in Spanish. They had heard the name before from their brother Spain, who was currently away as well. Despite Spain having colonized the young child, just like England did to America, they were still connected to their native culture. Which was obvious from the clothing they wore.

"Do you know English? En - gl - ish." America slowly spoke. Although it was not the boy's intention, he had annoyed the child. How dare he speak to them as if they were a baby?

"Yes, I know English. And I'm not a savage, there is no such thing as a savage. I'm America." The child's English had a slight accent to it, but the accent did not affect their speech. The blonde happily smiles, seeing that he could understand them, but quickly frowns at their sentence.

"What? But I thought I was America."

"So did I..."

The two children quickly become confused. Despite thinking that they were the only America, both children did not feel like denouncing the other. It was as if something inside them told them not to. Something inside them said they were both right. The boy glances around at the grass before smiling widely, a brilliant idea gracing his thoughts.

"How about this, I'm Alfred!" Alfred holds his hand out, clearly trusting of the other child. Said child stared at the hand before taking it. The two smile as they hold each other's hands. Something about this felt right. Something about being with each other felt right. Something about them both being America felt right.

"Then I'm [Y/N]."

1776

"[Y/N]? [Y/N]? Where are you?" Alfred wanders around the same spot he has been for years. A wild grassland that was hidden from the others. A sanctuary for him and his sibling. Alfred wanders around the grass and scarce trees, exhaustion evident on his face. His eyes begged for sleep and all his body wanted to do was shut down. But for him, that was no excuse to not see [Y/N].