Doodles of Surprises

The floorboards in Grimmauld Place were annoyingly loud

Benjamin had miserably failed in his attempt to surprise Rosalind and had only succeeded in irritating the woman. The man had tried to sneak into Sirius' bedroom were she was sleeping peacefully and undisturbed but the floorboards had squeaked loud enough to wake up the couple. 

"Benny?" Sirius' tired voice called out, arm wrapped tightly around Rosalind's waist. "What are you doing?"

"Happy Birthday, Lind!" The man suddenly shouted, causing Rosalind to jump in surprise.

Rosalind was ready to leap out of the bed and strangle the man, not to say she didn't appreciate the gesture because she did. However, she vividly remembered her and Benjamin's conversation from the previous day. Rosalind had made him promise to not mention her birthday in Sirius' company, to which Benjamin had rolled his eyes but agreed to her terms.

Apparently Benjamin had short term memory loss.

"Birthday?" Sirius asked, turning to look at Rosalind who was avoiding eye contact with the man.

She had not made Sirius aware of her birthday for reasons Rosalind believed to be very valid but Benjamin believed these reasons were "fucking stupid". Those were the exact words he had used.

She didn't appreciate his words but she could appreciate that the man looked good saying them.

Benjamin ignored Sirius' question, bending down to give the birthday girl a hug. "I was going to surprise you but the floorboards gave me away." He glared down at the floor with such resentment that Rosalind almost flinched. "Bastard!"

"Thank you." She gave him a smile, pulling Ben down for another hug in thanks. "I like your outfit today."

Benjamin always seemed to look good so she took it upon herself to remind him of that fact, as his best friend it was her job to compliment the man and she took the job very seriously.

"I look great, I know." Benjamin replied. "I'm surprised you even heard the noise considering you're an elder now."

"I am not an elder!" She spoke defensively, glaring at Ben before finally returning Sirius' questioning stare. "Am I?"

"No, love, of course not." Sirius comfortingly stroked Rosalind's hair. The woman had to stop herself from purring in response.

She was basically a cat at this point.

"Ignore Sirius." Benjamin interrupted. "I may have to buy you a walking stick for your birthday present." He patted her on the head before starting to walk out the bedroom. "Merlin's balls, imagine being twenty-five." Benjamin closed the door after himself leaving the couple in slightly uncomfortable silence.

She looked at the man who stared blankly at her in return. A smirk appeared on the man's face instantly worrying the woman. What was he thinking?

Sirius surged forward, connecting their lips as he nibbled at her bottom lip with his teeth. Rosalind settled herself on his legs, one knee on each side of his lap.