Mary stops by

Freddie sat down at the table with his vintage Japanese tea set. He waited for Mary to arrive to have their monthly chat and tea. Everytime she stopped by he secretly hoped that one of those times he'd open the door Isabelle would be standing there instead. He loved Mary yes, but not in the same way he loved Isabelle. Nobody was like her.

"Mary is here Fred!" said Peter Freestone who was drying his hands on a dish towel. Walking in behind him was a glowing Mary, she had a fresh hair cut and wore a rather revealing blouse. "My my my, what's the occasion?" said Freddie kissing her on the cheek. "Oh this old thing?" she said feeling happy that he noticed.

Truth was Mary had an agenda, she felt it was time for her to be a Mother. Although she understood why her and Freddie couldn't have a relationship she felt close enough to him to want a child by him. In fact, there was no man she trusted more. She knew his lifestyle was hectic, but it meant the world to her to have a child fathered by him.

"How have you been darling?" asked Freddie slowly sipping his tea not to burn his mouth. "Good actually I've been thinking a lot about my future!" she confessed as she mixed sugar into her cup. "Oooh and what does it hold?" he asked. "A baby" she simply said. Almost choking on his tea Freddie coughed a bit.

"A baby?!" he asked. "Yes" furrowing his eyebrows he was shocked at her revealing. "Forgive me darling but I'm confused...are you trying to tell me you are with child?" he asked leaning in incase she didn't want anyone to hear. "No silly...but I'm hoping I will be soon". She said cupping the side of his face.

"...ok, whats going on Mary?" She put her cup down and took Freddie's cup from his hands as well and put it down. Grabbing his hands into hers looking him in the eyes "well you see...I want a child and I was hoping you would be the one to give it to me." Freddie backed up a bit with shock. "Mary..darling you know I care about you...but I don't think that is such a good idea."

"Why not?" she asked with a frown. "Think about it...we're not even together and I'm happy with the way my life is right now...a child wouldn't fit in...I'm sorry" Mary pursed her lips "you think I haven't thought about that? I would care for the child myself I understand your life is busy." she said trying to convince him. "I...I- don't know" he said looking down at his feet.

"It would work out Freddie, trust me." In that very moment all that was in Freddie's mind was Isabelle and their hypothetical child. Even though he knew that if her child was indeed his she likely would have told him. He still felt guilty having a child with Mary if one already existed somewhere out there. "Look...it's hard for me to talk about this but I trust you so here it goes..." began Freddie as he traced his moustache with his fingers.

"When Isabelle and I broke up it wasn't just because we had differences...she was pregnant..." he said causing Mary's heart to skip a beat. "...and!?" she asked frantically. "Well...apparently she slept with her ex boyfriend around the same time and it was unknown who's child it was...I'm sure she wanted it to be mine but there was a big possibility it wasn't...I left before I could find out, I haven't heard from her since then."

Mary swallowed the lump in her throat and began calculating the information Freddie had just fed her. "Okay...so what does this have to do with us having a child?" she asked. "For fucks sakes Mary didn't you hear me? I'm not ready and I could possibly already have one anyways" he said searching for his cigarettes. Feeling tears build in her eyes she quickly wiped them away.

"Oh darling please don't cry..I'm sorry it's just...I'm scared Mary...scared to find out because I don't know how I'll feel if it isn't my child and I also don't know if I'm ready to be a father if it is" he said. "Okay...I understand" Freddie looked confused "...so are we ok?" he asked. "Of course we are" kissing his forehead and picking up her purse. "Thank you for the tea" grabbing her hand and kissing it Freddie smiled "always a pleasure."