Log 28: Rendezvous

"I'm... alive?" asked Maurice, mumbling to himself as he scratched the back of his head, noticing the blood on the floor, "I see gravity has not been so kind to me..."

Maurice quickly laid his on the ground upon the sound of footsteps coming close.

"We should get rid of the body before anyone notices," said one of the robots surrounding Maurice.

"Truly they could've handled this better, what a mess," said the other robot, "I'm just glad the public didn't see anything considering this is the back of a government owned building."

One of the robots picked up Maurice, holding him over their shoulder. However, just as they did that, Maurice swept over the robot's leg, picking up the gun of the robot and shooting the other robot's face. He then pointed the gun at the robot that he swept down.

"Why are you doing this?" asked the robot.

"I have someone to return to," said Maurice, blasting the robot's face to pieces.

After a few moments of silence, Maurice collapsed to the ground. The fall hurt him severely, and he didn't even think he could walk that well. He was losing lots of blood too, but that didn't matter to him.

"I need to get back.. they were being taken to a prison, right?" thought Maurice as he leaned against the wall in pain, taking out a cigarette, lighting it and smoking it, "I'll find a way to infiltrate the building and get them out."

His eyes wandered around the place until they met the dead robots that he had shot up.

Clank clank clank!

"This is a shoddy attempt," thought Maurice, wearing the robot pieces as if they were armor, "I wonder if this ruse could even get me by this place."

The government building was usually filled with robot servants traveling around. Being one wouldn't be too bad of a disguise as long as he didn't act too suspicious. He went around, looking at the maps. The prison must've been out of the actual directories, so he looked for ways to find out where exactly the prison was being hidden.

After minutes of searching he felt as if there was no way to find them. Soon, however, he heard something and began to eavesdrop:

"Nishojo finally finished her job in taking over O'Malley's plans," said one of the robots, "I can't wait until we robots finally get the recognition that we deserve under Nishojo's rule."

"I'm excited as well," said the other robot, "Never would I have thought that liberation would come sooner. I've heard that Nishojo has already some real humans!"

"Woah! Where are they? Can we visit them and laugh in their faces?"

"The guarding robots said we could but... it's very clear that not many robots want to actually approach the humans. If this whole ordeal goes wrong, they might remember our faces and instruct for our disassembly.."

"Even in near liberation..." mumbled Maurice, as he overheard their conversation from behind a wall, "The robots still fear for humans..? Very interesting.. our society and relationship with robots are seriously flawed.."

Maurice walked up to the two robots. He tried his best to act very much like a robot.

"Uh.. beep boop!" said Maurice, trying his best to imitate how robots would speak, "Beep boop.. I've overheard your conversation and I'd want to know where I could laugh at the humans.."

"Woah! You're a very brave robot!" said one of the robots, not even noticing Maurice's poor imitations, "I've been meaning to go down to the prison where the humans were, but I've always been afraid that they might come at me! At least with another robot I could have some faith in myself!"

"Yeah, count me in too!" said the other robot.

"Us three robots can finally laugh in their faces for all the times those humans have wronged us!" yelled the robot in triumph, "Our slavery ends here!"

"I kinda feel bad for these robots," thought Maurice as he began to follow the overjoyed robots, "It's the humans' faults that they act like this. Their attitude is influenced by those like O'Malley who think of them as machines. If only they had the lifestyle that I've shown to Maria.. I won't do any major harm to these robots any longer. They don't mean any harm and just wish for freedom."

The robots and Maurice entered the robot janitorial office, a usual hideout for those like Nishojo and Beep Boop to talk about plans without the humans noticing. A shelf opened, leading to the prison where Maurice's friends should be held.

"Andrew, Jameson, Arya.." thought Maurice to himself, "I hope that I can get you out of here.. I may not have a thorough plan in my head but I do have trust in myself that I can think up of something on the spot!"