Chapter Nine

Time for the next chapter of his escape from responsibility.

---

Trees.

Trees.

Trees.

There was nothing in this goddamn forest other than trees.

Everything looked the same. No matter where Chris turned, it all looked the same. The same artsy scenery everywhere, just slightly different.

Chris was a bit lost. He's been wandering in the forest for a good few hours now. He didn't even know where he was heading.

When he said he wanted to get away from Strike, getting lost in the middle of nowhere certainly was not what he had in mind.

Chris looked up in the sky, noticing that the sky was a little bit darker than the last time he checked.

The sun was probably going to set soon.

Yikes.

Chris was fine with food since he had a bunch of granola bars in his backpack that he stuffed in there for emergencies at school, but he didn't know what to do when he needed to sleep.

He could either skip sleep or just sleep on the forest floor.

Sleeping probably wasn't the best idea on the first night because any authorities or especially Strike could probably catch up very easily.

After a moment's debate, Chris decided he wasn't going to sleep tonight.

This probably wasn't going to be the best idea.

Chris sighed as he shivered. The temperature was dropping quite fast, and it definitely didn't help that it was in the middle of December.

At least it wasn't snowing.

Chris continued to walk through the forest as the sun went to sleep, the moon taking watch instead while encasing the earth in cold.

The forest seemed a bit eerie as it was shrouded in the dark, the silhouettes of the trees standing like still statues. The branches stemmed from the trunks, looking like dark black veins contrasting against the dark blue sky.

It seemed a bit haunting.

Chris took out his phone and turned on his flashlight, shivering once again. He should probably get his jacket out.

Chris chose a random tree and set his backpack down next to it, unzipping it with his almost numb, shaky fingers. Slowly, Chris dug through his backpack and found one of his hoodies, pulling it out.

Chris let out a very visible breath as he pulled the hoodie on, trying to trap in his already low body heat.

Maybe he should've done this earlier.

Chris sighed and zipped up his backpack, sitting down next to it and leaning against the trunk of the tree.

Maybe he should take a little break.

After all, he has been walking for such a long time now, his feet hurt like hell. Chris sighed and checked his phone, swiping his numb thumb across the small screen.

There was no service out here, but there were a few messages that he missed before he entered the forest.

They were all from Strike.

Minho

chan please can we just talk

i know youre mad at me and you probably wont answer but i can explain

thats probably an understatement

please chan you dont understand just let me explain

it wasnt my fault that your family got killed

Teeth gritted and jaw tense, Chris immediately exited out of the messaging app after seeing that message, immediately pressing his contacts and blocking Strike.

He didn't want to hear that bitch's excuses.

Chris sighed fiddling with his phone a bit more out of boredom before turning it off.

He should probably conserve his battery.

Chris' eyes wandered around the scenery that was still illuminated slightly by his phone flashlight before standing back up, slinging his backpack over his shoulders.

He should probably keep walking, even though he had no idea where he was going.

A/N Well, I almost broke my back today while working out today, how's y'alls days going?

unedited