Chapter 12: jump

matthew
I drive to my house with Stephanie, and her leg shakes like crazy the whole time.
"Calm down. It's okay." What was she nervous about? I guess it's her mom.
"Okay." She says lightly. I open the windows a little so we both can get some fresh air. It's one of those nice spring days where it's hot but a little chilly. We pull into my driveway and we both get out. I open the door and she sits on the couch.
"Do you want anything to eat?" I ask her, taking off my shoes. She shakes her head and just sits there, looking around. I sit down next to her, grabbing a blanket and putting it around both of us. I turn on the tv and we just watch old Disney shows together. She lays her head on my shoulder and I wrap my arm around her.
"Thank you." She says. I smile.
"For what?"
"For taking me away from my mother!" She laughs. I kiss her cheek. The front door swings open and I quickly turn my head to see who it is.
"Mom?" I say, standing up from the couch. She's never home this early.
"Hi, Matthew." My mom never call me Matt. She doesn't see the point because my birth certificate says Matthew and not Matt. She thinks that nicknames are offending because it's not even your real name. I don't get it either.
"Why are you home so early?" I ask her. Stephanie just keeps staring at the tv, waiting for my mom to say something I guess.
"We're supposed to get a bad storm tonight and they didn't want us to be driving in the snow. I nod and sit back down next to Stephanie.
"Who's this?" My mom asks, walking over to see Stephanie's face. Stephanie smiles and my mom smiles back.
"Um mom? This is my girlfriend Stephanie." My mom nods and smiles, and then walks back into the kitchen.
"Uh sorry about her." I scratch the back of my head.
"I like your mom." She smiles. I turn off the tv and we walk into the kitchen.
"So what do you guys want for dinner?" My mm asks. I shrug and so does Stephanie.
"Pizza sound okay?" We both nod and then go upstairs to my parents room. We go out on the balcony and go to the roof. I sit at the ledge of the roof, so my legs swing off. Stephane sits down next to me, resting her head on my shoulder again.
"It's funny. Because sometimes people act stronger than they actually are." I nod, and reach for my phone. I blog and my earbuds and hand one to her. She puts it in her ear and I put it in mind. I shuffle my Spotify playlist and long way down by Tom Odell. She smiles and holds my hand.
"I want to jump." She says. I look at her and kiss her face.
"Why? Why right now?"
"Because my life is miserable right now." I nod and stand up. I put my hand out for her. She looks at me strangely.
"What? Let's jump." She shakily takes my hand and we move to the edge of the roof. Our toes are hanging off the roof. She looks at me and a couple tears roll down her eyes. I wipe them with my thumb and swing out arms ban and forth.
"Ready?" I say to her. She slowly nods.
"1" she moves closer to the edge.
"2" she looks at me and smiles.
"3" she runs off the edge, and I grab her waist pulling her back to the roof. She falls to the ground and breaks down crying. I wrap my arms around her and she's shaking like crazy.
"Hey, hey." I say to her. I put my infers under her chin and lift her head up.
"Do you really think I'd let you jump?"