Chapter 17: half empty/half full

Valentine: Fiona Apple

She's 22: Troye Sivan

Jolene: Ray LaMontagne

Wait for life: Emile Haynie

Giant of Illinois: Andrew Bird

The energy never dies: the script

Island in the sun: weezer

matthew
When I was little my mom made me go to the hospital every Friday and read to the kids. Even though I wasn't ever any good, she still made me do it. I remember reading to this girl named Erin one day. She had green eyes and auburn hair. I had a crush on her. She was diagnosed with cancer when she was a baby, and never had been outside. I always told her that one day if I still read to her, I'd bring her outside. I've never talked her since 3rd grade. But Erin...she change me. She made me think that life is more happy than sad, or that a glass is half full instead of half empty. I try everyday to think of the glass half full.
But lately, the glass has been half empty.
She leans against my head board as I pick something up off of the floor. I'm trying to help Stephanie since she's hungover.
"What about Amy?" She asks. I look at her then back at the floor.
"I only kissed her because I needed to take my mind off of you." I laugh at the thought.
"I'm really stupid." I scratch the back of my neck.
"Pssh no. Okay, just a little." I laugh and sit with her in bed.
"Why did you want to take off my bra?" She laughs. I blush and look at her.
"Okay, okay. Half of it was because I wanted to help you an the other half was because I want-"
"Save it." She laughs. She puts her hand on he stomach and groans.
"Stomach hurts?" She nods and lays on her side.
"Do you want to go to bed?" She nods and I put the blanket over her. I start to walk out of the room but she groans again.
"What's wrong?" I ask her.
"Can you stay? Please?" She pouts. I turn off the lights and turn on the tv, so it's not pitch black. I play with her hair as she falls asleep.
"Steph?" I whisper.
"Yeah?" She whispers back.
"How do yo think of life? Half empty or half full?"
"It depends. If I'm sad, half empty. If I'm happy, half full." She whispers. I nod and wrap my arms around her.
"Does your stomach still hurt?" I ask her. She nods. I kiss her forehead and she smiles. I continue to kiss her face, until she cups my cheek and smashes her lips onto mine. She pulls away and smiles.
"Goodnight." She says to me.
"Goodnight babe." I say to her, and we both fall asleep.